Very swollen throat despite no tonsils

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I’ve been generally a bit low the last few weeks but I woke up this morning with the most swollen throat ever. I can barely swallow and can feel it when I breathe. I’ve had a headache for the past few days and everything seems to ache right now. 

Also I had my tonsils removed when I was 3 (I’m 20 now) so tonsillitis is pretty much out of the question. 

Any ideas?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Im in the same boat. No tonsils yet sometimes my throat feels swollen it happens more when i sleep with my mouth open. But i was told could be scar tissue. Who really knows
    • Posted

So it turns out they must have missed a tiny bit of tonsil which has grown with me so it’s actually quite big now. I do have tonsillitis and now have to get this bit removed. Can’t even believe it. 
    • Posted

Wow how you figured out? I had a dr look at my throat and she was like your tonsils dont look swollen it and i told her i didnt have any..makes me wonder if they left some behind by accident..
    • Posted

Went to the docs today and she told me. 

How old were you when you had them removed?

I was 3 and she said even if they miss a minuscule amount, that grows as you do and can become quite considerable. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.