Very tired on Sertraline

Posted , 30 users are following.

I am only on 50mg of Sertraline and feel great - having suffering from anxiety, stress and depression for as long as I can remember, I now feel as if my life is completely different. 

But my sleeping is very odd. I am not stressed, but I often wake up at 5am - maybe once or twice a week. 

But then, even if I have a couple of early nights, I am frequently exhausted by 945pm. Last night I was watching a film and fell asleep by 930 and slept until 725am. That is not uncommon.

It is a question of balance. My wife is convinced that I am ill again because of the early mornings (which I used to do nearly every day when I was really ill) but I feel fine... apart from being totally exhasuted a lot of the time. I am wondering whether to stop them to stop my wife worrying.. but I feel better than I ever have! 

If others have had a similar experience of tiredness and fatigue I would love to know. 

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mark, 

I am glad the sertraline is working for you. I suffered with terrible tiredness for weeks, maybe even a couple of months when I first started Sertraline.  I would fall asleep in the afternoon and then sleep a whole night and then sleep in until 10am but over time it became less and less. If I ever increased the dosage the tiredness returned temporarily. 

Hopefully yours will become less as time goes on.

x

• Posted

I also wake every morning at 5.30 7 days a week whether I goto bed at 9 or 12 it's weird but I suffer with GAD and once I wake cannot get back to sleep due to severe anxiety I am currently only on day 3 50mg but have been on 25mg 7 days and I can honestly say I feel like sh*t dizzy weak legs have to keep sitting down just hope they kick in soon ive been on these in the past and they didn't alter my sleep pattern or make me this weak I guess as we get older our system is more sensitive to these meds hope things improve for u
  • Posted

I had started ohn 50mg, then increased to 100mg and also found similar sleepiness, but with the increase to 100mg I never really seemed to get into REM sleep without some sort of other drug - it was horrible, twitchy legs at night, tired during the day but not able to sleep at night. This was the main reason I wanted to try to get off the sertraline.. but of course the question then is why I was on it in the first place and has counciling and learning been enough for depression symptions to not come back? Time will tell. At the present time I've worked my way down from 100mg to 50mg and now 25mg and I seem to have best of all worlds in that mood is good, sleep is good, and not tired during day anymore.

Everyone seems different though, but at least you know it is possible to find some sort of happy medium at some point (though if you have just started then maybe a little more anxiety-free time is better than a little extra sleep).

• Posted

Hi Warren, it appears you posted awhile ago, but I have had almost the exact same experience. I started taking 50mg a little over a month ago, and increased to 100mg a couple weeks ago. I have always had trouble sleeping, but have been so drowsy during the day and then unable to sleep at night.

Since it's been a year, I'm curious what happened. Did you continue to have trouble? Did the sleep/tiredness get better? 

Let me know. I'd really love to hear how it has played out for you. 

• Posted

Hi Rachel, I see that you posted 8 months ago, but wondered if

you got over being tired? I have only been on the Sertraline for a little over a month, I started out taking them in the morning and was tired all day, so Dr. said take them at night, NOW I can't seem to wake up, I can sleep 10 hours without problem. Curious how things have worked out for you??

• Posted

How long have you been on them mark? I am on week 7 of them and althogh better still anxious at times and since being on them my sleep is terrible! Better than at the beginning but still not good and I am on 50mg too. Have also broken out in loads of spots!!
    • Posted

I have been on Sertraline for 22 months. 

Without question, the best thing that I have done (medically!).

Generally, I feel great. 

Just very, very tired. Tonight is a rare night when I am up at almost 1130 - which is when I used to be up until. I never needed much sleep before. 

• Posted

Hi Mark

Glad the sertraline is helping you feel better.

I've been on 50mg for a few months now, and have to say I've felt a lot better on them. However, sleep is a bit of an issue. I experienced bad dreams to start with, which left me feeling tired when I woke, but even though the dreams have improved, I still feel tired a lot during the day.

I tried to balance out my blood sugar by regulating my diet but that hasnt made much difference, so can only assume it is the desk job and sertraline.

Sometimes I have a nap when i get in from work but that can spoil my bedtime sleep routine and again I'm tired the next day.

I'm not sure its worth me coming off them though as I feel happier and more stable. I guess only you can decide what is best for you.

Kind regards

Lisa 

• Posted

From my experience 50mgs is a great dose that doesn't get rid of symptoms, but keeps them at bay. I wouldn't worry about your sleeping pattern... It's fine, and a damn sight easier than dealing with anxiety/ depression. Stay on your sertraline. When I'm going through a period of disturbed sleep. I just pop myself on nytol for a couple of weeks.... Seems todo the trick. I would defo say on sertraline though.... I've been on it now for a couple of years.... And I'm staying on it! 
  • Posted

Hi there I am in to my eighth week of Sertraline,  4th week at 75mg first 4 at 50mg and my sleep is still exactly the same as you.  I fall asleep okay now which I didn't for the first 4 weeks but I still wake up at 4.45am most mornings.   I was on this med about 3 years ago aswell and I remember after a few months it all settled and I was back to normal with sleeping so hopefully that happens for both of us.  At least you are feeling better thats the main thing.
  • Posted

Hi Mark

I am taking  50mg of Sertraline and I must say that I feel a lot happier but the tiredness is killing me.  I have the most vivid dreams and I wake exhausted.  My husband tells me that I cry out loud (sometimes with tears sometimes without) or laugh and talk.  I eat a well balanced diet and exercise regularly but find I am exhausted. 

• Posted

I've been having the same issues with dreams and tiredness. I've only been taking it for almost three months and scaled down to only 25 mg since 50 started making me too tired. What did you end up doing? Did the sleepiness ever go away?

• Posted

Hi Mark,

I know this response is a year after you've posted this but thought I'd give you my input. I have been on Sertraline for almost 2 years due to severe anxiety and panic attacks. I had CBT, hypnotherapy and many psychiatrists but nothing worked until I used Sertraline! When I first went on them I only had side effects for 3 days. This included feeling naseuous, having constant headaches and feeling drowsy.

The only downside to these tablets is that I'm severely tired constantly. As in I'll wake up at 10am but be shattered by 2pm and have a nap so then I can't sleep in the evening. However, recently I have slept during the day and managed to sleep during the night as well but I am still tired when I wake up.

On the information sheet in the box it says that it is commong in 1 in 10 people therefore it is VERY common.

I'm on Sertraline 50mg

• Posted

Hi Sophie,

I have been on sertraline for a couple of months now and I too seem to be constantly exhausted throughout the day no matter how much sleep I get. I was wondering if there was any hints or tips you have found that perk you up or give you more energy during the day?

• Posted

Hi Kieran,

My fiancé has recently started taking Sertraline. We read in another thread that some people took sertraline in the morning instead of at night, and it solved their problems with sleep patterns and tiredness versus taking it before bed. So when my fiancé started taking it, he decided to take his daily tablet in the morning right after waking up. 

Although he is sometimes tired, he hasn't had trouble sleeping like some people mention, and I wouldn't say he's any more tired than he was before he started taking it.

Just something to consider, although if you're taking it at night now you might need to ask your doctor the best way to adjust the timing, as you don't want to shock your body by altering the amount in your system at any given time.

Good luck!

• Posted

I would suggest that if you're feeling tired, instead of lounging on the sofa or in bed, you could:

- go on a walk/run

- go shopping

- do your favourite hobby

- bake

- meet up with friends

^ that and more. As long as you are kept active it is fine. When I worked full time over summer I wasn't even tired because I was kept so busy. Now I'm back at university I'm shattered constantly because I'm so bored.

Hope that helps

• Posted

I've been having the same issues with dreams and tiredness. I've only been taking it for almost three months and scaled down to only 25 mg since 50 started making me too tired. What did you end up doing? Did the sleepiness ever go away?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.