very weak and sleepy after parathyroidectomy

Posted , 61 users are following.

I had a parathyroid gland removed on Thursday (four days ago). The surgeon was very happy - PTH fell already during the operation and my calcium was normal when they discharged me. I have since developed pins and needles and have been taking calcium supplement.

The scar itself doesn't bother me at all and I don't need painkillers anymore, which is great.

However, I am still very weak and still mostly in bed. Is it normal? Am I expecting too much too soon? Is it to do with calcium maybe falling too low?

How many days should it take before I feel strong enough to even look after myself? When should I start to worry?

Thanks

5 likes, 93 replies

93 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hello

i saw your post and mi not sure how old this is.

i had 2 parathyroids removed over 6 months ago and calcium serum levels are still very low but in range.

weakness fatigue brain fog still going on. did you every recover ? how long did it take? was there something that was discovered that was missing/

Paul

• Posted

thanks for getting back

im in the same boat. my calcium is 8.9 barely in range and pth around 44.

i still have fatigue and weakness and brning pain in back and feet.

i too have frequent urination but only at night. ive had every test run and scans fo brain and spine and been tested for everything. going to the mayo clinic now. the muscle weakness and pain still there after 6 months. brian fog is geting better. lost 35 lbs but totally changed diet. eating gluten free and very clean.

taking magnesium supplements and probiotics and other vitimins. developed neuropothy and also not getting any deep sleep due to lack of excercise. i had been walking several miles a day and swimming a mile a day. now im goo for about 2.5 miles of total walking and lifting 5lb weights for a few minutes. the fatigue and weakness was almost immediate after the surgery.

glad to hear your feeling better on some days.. i still cant get out at night. did endo acknowledge that this could be just long period of body adjusting to new serum levels and hormone levels?

did you do anything to help yourself improve your stamina or did it just slowly come back?

• Posted

I do my best to try to sleep well. I exercise on the elliptical machine four times a week for 25 minutes, which is probably not enough but I didn't even used to do that much. I eat healthy, try not to drink too much. My occasional tiredness may partly be a sleep problem in spite of what the sleep study says. I wake up several times a night, every night. I should also consider a brain scan MRI. The endocrinologist recommended it but I don't think too much of her. Very young and inexperienced. My limbs, especially my legs, feel kind of weak and tired a lot. Maybe it's just being old. I should ask other old people if they experience the same thing!

• Posted

25 min 3 times a week is pretty good.. im not there yet but agree that my legs are weak and feel tired too.

i have had 3 differnts endos and 4 neurologists none were very good. i have talked to several people that tell you that every cell and hormone in your body changes when you have the surgery and it just takes time. i agree it doesnt help that we are older and get less deep sleep and thats where all of the repair comes in is in that cycle. i started taking 6-9 mg of melatonin because as you age your body makes less and also im taking some z quill for sleep. i got a fit bit and you can track your sleep and im starting to get more of that.

reading that you need 90 min of deep sleep for your body to repair. again as you get older you get less deep sleeep so that might be why us older people are taking longer to recover.

also fyi make sure that you dont take CIPRO unless there is no other alternative. i have an infection and they put me on CIPRO a couple of times.. its a very strong antibiotic and kills single cells good and bad. i may have some of my issues from that. you can read about cipro so be careful with that.

again im going to the mayo again coming up this week and meeting with endo and neurologist and urologist ( lots of stones from all of the calcium supplements) ill let you know if anything comes from that.

just curious i know you said your calcium serum levels were low what about ionized calcuim levels. that is your bio available and mine is 1.14 which is also very low..

these drs just look at reading and if its in range they stop there.

my calcium level my whole life was between 9.5 and 10 like most people and now it is 8.8. all of your cells have to get used to that and because your larger muscles are in your legs that is probably why they feel more tired. i know im the same way.

last question are you able to get out in the evening and do things? im not there yet. normally too tired.

also do you have any nerve pain anywhere feet legs? im working on a solution for that.

thanks again for your conversation and rest assured anything i find out ill let you know about.

Paul

• Posted

I had the surgery 5 days ago and I'm having the same things as you did. How long before the tiredness and weakness went away? I'm almost 75 years old.

• Posted

hello,it's been 3 months I'm since my surgery been having bone pain muscle, lip numbness stomach finally setting down. Still having weight loss off and on tingling in the face, has anyone experienced cold chills to becoming hot, blood seems to fine but all the crazy emotions Iv'e been feeling. I feel like I'm all the place.

Wishing all wellness!

• Posted

sounds like CA LEVELS ARE STILL ADJUSTING and numbness usually sign of low CA how many adenomas were removed?

• Posted

hi Michelle, I had 1 gland taken out almost 3 months ago. I'm still experiencing tingling and numbing in my hands,feet . They say take tums. Right after surgery my calcium was high and PTH level low. Now a month and half later my calcium is good but my PTH level is low. I have been super tired the last couple of weeks. I am a third shifter. I have been feeling extra emotional lately. idk I feel like crap actually. I hope I dont have to go through another surgery. T he nurse practitioner has been getting more lab work done on the 21st to see abt my PTH level. I also have a Dexta bone density test I have to do next week. all you are going through sounds like what I am going through. Best wishes

• Edited

i think we each are different...i had one adenoma removed a year ago it took a couple of weeks to get past tingling and CA levels were in normal range

my blood pressure dropped significantly and i was taken off one med, and the other med was reduced by a third...over the year since surgery my blood pressure continues to lower, now around 105/60...was as high as 160/90 before meds were givenwith increased dosages over few years i was tired and close to passing out a few times, but much better now

had reflux just before surgery...improved after surgery, and almost completly gone a year down the road...changed my diet to 80-85 percent greens and fruits, no red meat, eliminated sugar as much as i could this helped alot

hyperparathyroid wreaked havoc on me for years without even knowing...aches went away over few months, anxity levels lowered over about a year

hope this helps

kevin

• Posted

i am 2 months post op ( 3 glands removed due to hyperplasia) Tons of anxiety post op. that is settling down a bit . a week ago , crashing fatigue and bone and muscle pain returned. calcium and pth are good . ca 10 pth is 25 . vitamin D is 27. i wanted to feel great by now and it just isnt happening.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.