Very weak stream after delaying urination

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have a very large >100cc prostate with an enlarged median lobe confirmed by MRI. My urine stream is not what it was when I was 20 but still acceptable as long as I don't try to hold off urination. But if I hold it for any extended period after I feel the urge, the stream is VERY weak, almost non existent. Yet if I urinate soon after I feel the urge, the stream is fine. Is it my prostate causing this or something else?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Pete it is most likely your median lobe. Did they give you anything for it.

Good luck...Ken

• Posted

Kenneth.... If it was my median lobe causing this, wouldn't I have a very weak stream all the time, not just when I delay peeing for a long time? I'm thinking this is caused by a bladder or sphincter problem because the extremely weak stream only happens after I try to hold off peeing for awhile.

• Posted

Pete

That is very true. The median lobe is very funny and it also could be your bladder or sphincter.

Let me tell you about me. I had my Urolift done over 7 years ago it has been great. About 3 years ago my steam was slowing down. My doctor did a scope and told me that my prostate was still open.

We found out that it was my internal sphincter It was to tight. He put me on Vesicare 10 mg. I take it at night before I go to bed. That was it. I have a good steam and no other problems. It is a muscle relaxer See if you could get a few samples and see if it will help you. You never know

Be safe...Ken

• Posted

Pete, i had the exact same issue! That problem went away for me after PAE procedure. as well as the extreme urgency preceding that awful dribble dribble. Now i can hold it for as ling as i need to ( have to ) and when the time comes , it flows.

• Posted

Bobcats... That's really good to hear. I'm scheduled for PAE in 2 weeks in Miami with Dr Bhatia. He's done about 1000 PAE's and he's only an hour drive away. I was concerned that PAE wouldn't work because of a bladder or sphincter problem but I read through your very detailed post about your PAE 2 years ago (thank you very much for posting your experience) and as you said, you had EXACTLY the same BPH symptoms as I have and PAE cured you. Hope my results are as good as yours.

• Posted

Good Luck Pete! My PAE worked so well, I decided to do it again 😃

I got a great 2 years ( which I wouldn't trade for anything)!

My prostate re-vascularized, I am 56 years old and I exercise everyday. Doc thinks good healthy blood flow regrew my arteries - there by regrew my prostate.

My symptoms had not gotten so bad, but i could feel them getting worse so my Doc and I decided to repeat PAE. He found 7 arteries that had been feeding my prostate! Usually only 2 or 3.

Anyway, I'm 1 month post repeat PAE and I can tell you that my results are the same as the first time around - just fantastic! The recovery time was easier this time ( maybe I knew what to expect this time ?)

Some might say only 2 years is not worth it, but I am a huge advocate of PAE!! Doc thinks I should get more than 2 years this time around.

Again, good luck to you and keep in mind that the procedure is really very minimally invasive and recovery is easy!

Bob

• Edited

I have this same issue. Looking at Urolift for relief. Is there a term for this condition? My doctor has tried to do uroflow tests on my, but if I hold it till my bladder is full, my stream is very weak, but not necessarily indicative of my normal flow when I go before I really fill my bladder.

• Edited

not too shabby... My symptoms were exactly like yours and like you, the full bladder and holding it resulting in a very weak stream was not indicative of my normal flow. I'm not sure if there is a term for this condition but since I posted this question, I had a PAE (Prostate Artery Embolization) procedure done. I'm now 13 days post procedure and I can tell you that I'm already urinating much better. Starting at about 7 days after PAE I started noticing a stronger stream. Since then I've tried drinking a lot of liquids and holding it for awhile and found that instead of a very weak or almost non existent stream, I've got a very strong stream, kind of like my younger days after a few beers. I'm very encouraged by my early results and am told that it will get even better in the next few months. I posted my PAE experience on this board if you're interested.

• Edited

Hi Pete - Just curious how you are doing now that a few more weeks has gone by. Is the issue with holding your urine and getting a weak stream resolved?

• Edited

I'm now about 6 weeks post PAE and yes the issue of holding my urine then getting a weak stream has been resolved. Urine stream in general is much better than before PAE. It's funny how all my life I never thought about my urine stream until it started getting very weak. It became a cause for concern every time I used the restroom. Now after PAE when my stream hits the toilet water with some force I just smile.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.