Very Weird

Posted , 6 users are following.

THis grouping of symptons/diagnoses is very weird.

Wife has been battling diverticulitis for a few years - was getting an attack every 4 - 5 months.  After a few attacks, last year Gastro recommended she see a surgeon & have surgery.  She hasn't yet.  Each time she had an attack, a 14 day course of Cipro and a Low Residue diet resolved it.  About a month ago, another attack. Cipro resolved it. Went to see Gastro at end of the 14 days & he gave her an all-clear. Then, 3 days later, she noticed blood on paper after she wiped.  Then the next few bowel movements were bloody. SHe felt a tiny bit of pain where she usually does - she said only a 1 on a scale of 1 - 10.  Went to ER last night. All blood work good - no internal bleeding, white cells not elevated, no fever. They assume it is hemorrhoids.

Here's where it gets weird:

This past July, I had horrible stomach pain on left side, upper abdomen.  Went to Urgent Care, but they just sent me for a CAT scan and my Gastro.  CT scan did NOT show diverticulitis, just a couple of diverticulae.  No fever.  My blood work came back negative. Nevertheless, my Gastro diagnosed diverticulitis. Put me on Augmentin and liquid diet. After one day switched to Low residue diet.  A week later, I was AOK.

Had Colonsocopy which was good - no polyps, but slight diverticulOSIS.

2 months later, I had a slight twinge of pain in same spot. No other symptoms. Again, blood work negative.  Back on Augmentin for 2 weeks. Pain went away in 2 days.  A few days after off augmentin & low residue diet, I occasionally feel a twinge of pain in upper left.    

What I find odd is that we both have the same diagnosis of diverticulitis, yet neither of us has had a fever nor escalated white cells counts.  and we seem to be taking turns on having symptoms.  I mean togetherness is nice, but this is a bit much!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm a little confused, well diverticulitis is very confusing as it is lol.. but yall aren't having fever with the pain? Usually with infection comes fever.. I had 3 attacks in 3 months.. cipro like yall every time.. I still have pain on my left side, every day.. not all day but enough to scare me to get another ct scan.. everything is really good. E.r. doc told me it takes a full year to get over an attack.. the pain is scar tissue.. and small inflammation that irriates and already upset area.. my gastro never said that which makes me furious!!!!! I finally feel at ease after 6 months of worrying. Do you think the pain is an infection or just soreness from getting over the flare? My e.r. doc also said a good test to see if the infection is back is to stand on one foot and jump if you feel pain it's mre than likely another flare.. if not it's just pain that will go away and so far he has been right on.

• Posted

If I were to stand on one foot & jump, I'd surely end up in the ER - with a bunch of broken bones!  :-)

My Gastro also said that the minor pain can be a little scar tissue.

Yes - so strange that neither of us have had fevers in our supposed attacks.

• Posted

I can understand your story because I got diagnosed in June 2014 with diverticular disease and had 3 attacks so far but none with any fever only the horrible sharp pain that you get with diverticulitis and still the odd twinge of spasm in my side and only to find out 2 months later my daughter got diagnosed with Crohn's so both of us now got problems with our bowels and I've searched the Internet on everything to do with these diseases and it all points towards stress yeah hard to believe right ?

Start taking aloe Vera juice twice a day and drink cranberry to reduce inflammation and also drink lots of water because this really does help into flushing out the bad bacteria that causes it hope this helps

• Posted

Yes I have been diagnosed for a year now and had several attacks. Horrible condition, coming to terms with having thus for life has not been easy. Yes I agree aloe Vera twice a day really helps and plenty of water to prevent dehydration.
  • Posted

my husband was , missed digagnosted with diverticulitc, for a year he took anti b's and got no better, only after his kidney nubers shot up [from cipro] he was hospitalized, they gave him IV Fagle , next morning meds came No Fagle??? I had to wait and ask doc, he said white blood count & can scan showed no diverticulitis, fought for a colonoscompy found out he was desceased & absest and they took his sigmond colon out, I now have simmilarl problems, and will go into surgery on Dec1 to have my sigmoid colon removed before it gets to a life & death situation sad scared, even laproscopoly it is a 2hr surgery & 3-4 recupe if All Goes well and as you hav read from these disscusions, it does not always go well sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.