Very worried

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I had tonsillitis just before xmas and noticed a lump on the front right side of my neck which I thought was something to do with having tonsillitis. After that cleared I notice the lump still didn't go and that my neck, ear and jaw aches on and off only on the side of the lump(right), the right side of my neck feels swollen and i also feel tired and generally run down. I have health anxiety so went to my doctors, he assessed my neck and referred me for a ultra sound scan on my neck as he thinks it may be a thyroid nodule, I am still waiting for this 2 weeks later! he also said my tonsils were enlarged. I have no family history of thyroid problems that i know of and am a normally healthy 20 year old female. I am worried to death this is something serious!sad

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I know you will be a bit scared at this stage, however your results will clarify what you need to know.  I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's three years ago, with about 5 nodules scattered through the Thyroid, it sounds overwhelming, but once Drs have got the Thyroid back to a proper balance, things settle down - it seems that there is no standard level of medication for this - each patient will have their own prescribed level of meds, this is normal, and once the levels are right, you will feel much better - you will probably be on a replacement Thyroid med for the rest of your life, ( a tiny pill, first thing in the morning) but its so very easy to manage, and the difference in how you feel will be incredible, pretty much back to your usual self, dont get impatient about levels of meds, as sometimes it can take a bit of time to find out what works for you.  I have no family history of Thyroid problems either, sometimes it just happens.  Chin up! am sure when test results come through, Drs know what is what!   Hope this has helped a bit.
    • Posted

Thankyou for your replies..I'm just scared to death that I may have thyroid cancer or something! Like i say i noticed the lump when I had tonsilits so before then I didnt have any symptoms and felt fine although now ive found it i seem to be having symptoms that side of my neck aching, tiredness and feeling run down! I don't know if this is my anxiety or not? I'm just petrified that something is seriously wrong and i have thyroid cancerrolleyes
  • Posted

Hello Xjadex:

My name is Shelly and I am a RN -Nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease.  I also have 3 nodules.

Most of us over our lifetime can develop thyroid nodules.  Some are from infections and can be scar tissue and some are little cysts.  Most 98% are non-cancerous and do not do any harm.

An ultrasound will show the size and shape and location and can be very helpful in letting you know what is happening.

The only time to worry is if it blocks your airway.  The thyroid can swell esp. if you were recently ill.  It should return to normal as soon as you are well.  The body is slow to recover and if you had repeated infections it can aggravate your thyroid gland.

I had my tonsils removed when I was 34 and 54 now, because I was getting horrible infections.  As we age the tonsils become cryptic and get pitted and can hold germs there, so if your doctor recommends a tonsilectomy you may want to do it.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Thankyou for your replies..I'm just scared to death that I may have thyroid cancer or something! Like i say i noticed the lump when I had tonsilits so before then I didnt have any symptoms and felt fine although now ive found it i seem to be having symptoms that side of my neck aching, tiredness and feeling run down! I don't know if this is my anxiety or not? I'm just petrified that something is seriously wrong and i have thyroid cancerrolleyes
  • Posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.