Very worried about pain and numbness in right side

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm 29 years old and female

About 12 days ago I started feeling run down, really tired, no cold or flue symptoms or anything just worn out. Anyway two days after that I woke up with an excruciating headache and pain around my upper back, neck and rib area, it felt like I'd done a massive gym session but I had done very little for feeling so tierd. Two days later the pain was getting worse so I went to my gp. She done some blood and urine tests and a test to see if I had a clot but apart from a mild temp and slightly raised heart rate and showing signs fighting infection in pee test All was fine. She said I probably had a virus to go home and rest, as the next few days went past the pain was getting worse, was agony to lay down so I barley slept. Anyway 6 days after first feeling unwell I had a numb feeling in my right side rib area and the pain was much worse I ended up in a&e and after many hours and many tests they sent me home not finding anything wrong, every day since then iv been getting worse, I'm totally numb from inbotween My sholder blades all the way down my right side to my foot, walking is becoming more difficult as is bending, I had to sit on the floor to wriggle into my trousers as I couldn't lift my leg. I still find laying down very uncomfortable. Iv since been back to the doctors and she gave me some naproxin and pregabalin that help with the pain and has refered me for an urgent mri but it's been 3 days and I'm still waiting, I'm worried, I can't relax because of the pain, I can't work, I'm very emotional and keep crying because of the lack of sleep. I really don't know what to do and was wondering if anyone had similar symptoms and knew what was going on.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sara: I am so sorry to hear what you are going through I am not sure what is going on with you lets see what the MRI will show, do the best you can to keep your spirits up, do you have a support team? I have a brian problem (SIH) that i struggle with every day its been a year for me now i have learned to take a day at a time some times an hour at a time, stay fighting my friend.
  • Posted

Hi Sara,

Over a period of weeks, I had a lot of scary symptoms like a huge amount of fatigue, blurry vision, huge headache that made my head feel like it was 50 pounds.  I went off of wheat and I began to feel better. That was about 3 years ago or so. I now eat more paleo and try to eat organic when I can. I try to stay away from dairy and grains in general, but I indulge a little every once in a while. Go off wheat/flour for a 7 day period. Be strict about it and see if you feel better! Good luck. I have discovered I have a gluten sensitve neuropathy that really makes me twitch and have numbness and other symptoms when I eat wheat. You should defintely see if wheat is the problem. You need to try going off wheat for a full week, just see. Going off wheat gave me my life back. If I happen to eat wheat by accident like I did last week when I consumed sesame dressing on a salad at a restaurant I felt shaky, had numbness in my extremities and felt like I had a jumpy heart for about 4 days straight. I was uncomfortable. That experience reminded me to check for wheat in soy sauce when at Asian restaurants.

• Posted

I would keep ringing to chase up the scan you should not be suffering with those kinds of symptoms and really the hospital should of carried out the scan. I went to my G.P because a 12foot fence had blown down and hit me in the head and for a couple of days i just felt sore which i thought that was because of the impact especially with me being only 5 foot tall i to am 29. My G.P said i want you to have a MRI scan of the head to be on the safe side since then i have been suffering with bad headaches an electric shock sensation in my fingers tips,burning sensation in my calfs, tingling and numbness i thought i was just being a little paranoid ive since had the scan with has shown abnormal changes in the frontal lobes of the brain but it has not been caused by the accident i am now waiting to see a neuro surgeon on monday as tiring as it is you need to keep on at the till you get some answers for you symptoms unfortunately them that shout the loudest get heard. I really hope you get some answers soon
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies. I have been for my mri today but won't get results for a week. This has put my whole life on hold and is really getting me down. I'm still struggling with everyday things and bending etc. My leg is so numb it has started to feel like it's throbbing and I'm still getting really worn out. I can't go to work as I work in a really busy bar and I physically can't run around or lift etc. But on the plus side i am not in so much pain thnks to the drugs the doctor gave me and i am managing to sleep wich im redicuosly gratful for smile I really hope I find out what's going on soon though.
  • Posted

Now I'm really worried, I had my mri yesterday and was told to ring in one week to collect my results, I just got a call one day after scan making an appointment with my doc in the morning. I don't know what's going on but that doesn't sound like it's going to be good news. Iv never known them to 1. Get back to me so quickly 2. Make an appointment without me asking 3. Not give me results on phone. I should be gratful I'm getting seen but I can't help worry sad

• Posted

So I got my results today and I'm afraid it was bad news. I really want to tell people to please push for the doctors to take you seriously. If I had listened to the first doctor who knows when/if I would have got help. After repetedly being told there was nothing wrong with me I finally got a diagnosis. I have an as yet unidentified mass aka tumor on my spine that has caused damage inside my spinal colum as a result I have developed syringomyelia. Something I had never heard of, where basically a cyst has developed inside my spinal colum and created a void that has damaged my nerves. Iv been refered to cancer care so hopefully soon I will find out what my prognosis is. Apparently this is a very rare condition but still, if you show symptoms get them checked out. You know your own body and when it's not right so don't let them fob you off, get that second oppinion, could be the most important thing you do.
    • Posted

So sorry to hear its not what you wanted to hear. You are exactly right you know your own body and no when something is wrong. To many doctors seem to be fobbing people off and its not right. Take care of yourself

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.