very worried bout starting on Mirtazapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

I have been prescribed these by my doctor after many years of not sleeping well and quite bad depression off and on for a number of years as well. Some days not too bad, others, well not good at all.

I am very anti drugs, and have tried some before but HATE the side effects and know I am going to get them and I am quite scared bout taking anything, but lack of sleep is getting worse and worse and consequently depression also.

Had to pack in my job, and have become a bit of a reclusive, although some days I can cope if sleep has not been too bad, and have heard these might help in that respect. I am not expecting miracles, but any improvement I can get would be help as I am in a bad place really. Also worried that I may get worse on these and scared as to what I might be like then.

Any advice would be great thanks

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It's sad you think that it's just the way you are now, you shouldn't think that.
  • Posted

Hi Mark ..... For Gods Sake there is nothing wrong with being on an antidepressant ........

Can't see what the big deal is ? You can stay suffering every 2nd or 3rd day, or try them for a while anyway.

More people than you can imagine suffer with depression, it's no big deal.... If you were diabetic you'd take insulin wouldn't you !!

Sorry Mark don't mean to be harsh, just hate to think of you suffering, cos I know wot it's like.

Some people only have to take them for 6 months just to kick start themselves, so don't look at it like a life sentence

Maizie

• Posted

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with being on anti depressants whatsoever. No shame, nothing.

I think people who are on them are very brave and strong not weak or anything stupid like that. My fear is feeling worse than I do now, and what I might get up to ad to a large extent the "feeling" is out of your control when you are on them. Been on a anti depressants before so I do know what they can be like, although not been on these.

Yes days can be very tough, and I have suffered a lot on reflection and lost the lot but, there ars good days sometimes and I am very grateful and lot people worse, but.......I would like to be happy again

• Posted

give them a try you may be surprised at the results. You have got to think of it like this would you won't to feel like you do off depressants or maybe feel great on them? I am not saying the first couple of weeks may be rough but think about all the weeks ahead when you will feel fine.

I am on my 5 AD in 5 months but i know that there is a suitable one out there to suit me. As the saying goes "One mans poison is another mans medicine" Good luck

• Posted

I had this exact same problem..I was stubborn with starting my mirtazapine. I was put straight on at 30mg..and I delayed it for 2 months thinking I could sort it out myself...I actually just made myself worse! I had the problem of viewing the antidepressants as a 'life sentence' as someone put it. I was scared I was going to be on them forever and ever..but actually once you've been taking them a while...who cares aslong as they help smile
  • Posted

Hi Rachael

Know what you mean, I was prescribed them 3 months ago, still not started them. I am certainly not getting better without them, although I have improved a bit in last week, but nowhere near where I need to be, or like to be. I guess they could give me the push to get there.

I don't view them as a life sentence, and as you say who cares as long as they help, there is no shame at all in taking them. I guess I am worried how I will be if I get worse initially, and because I am quite health conscious, a bit against them, but at end of day if it helps the people close to me be happier as well then that is a massive plus.

Did you struggle at first and had your mood and sleep improved

• Posted

In all honesty, a lot of people say that with mirt, it gives them instant relief. I know it did for me too..although I've still got a little way to go (increasing my dose to 45mg tonight)...the morning after my first dose..I had this real sense of relief. It may have been part relief that I actually gave in and took them, but I felt quite positive and calm the first day... I'd certainly give them a go, the worst that can happen is- they won't work..and then you'll only be in the same position you're in now anyway.

The first night I took mine, I went to sleep within 20minutes! I haven't had a bad nights sleep since starting them (9 weeks ago) which was really comforting as insomnia was the trigger for my breakdown and anxiety. You don't actually have anything to lose by trying them smile I have had no side effeects either..the same as a lot of people who try mirt....I tried Citalopram before mirt..and lasted 5days on it because of the awful side effects of insomnia,sickness etc..so mirtazapine was a welcome relief to try

• Posted

Oh I should add- one of my concerns about starting the mirt was that I'd never spend time with my hubby again in the eve as i'd always be asleep...but a week into taking the mirt...I was able to take my tablet at 10pm, stay up until 11.30pm and then easily wake up at 7am when my 3year old rushes in... it relieved all my fears of the sedation....the groggy zombie feeling people talk about actually disappeared on day 3 for me too.. smile
  • Posted

Thanks v much for the info Rach. I too was given citalopram and gave up after 4 days for the same reasons.

Suppose it's the potential initial slip in mood when you start on them that I'd one big worry for me, font want to get suicidal. I seem to be suseptical to any crud, one cup of coffee sends me bonkers, which is quite funny, so I suspect I will maybe be badly affected by side effects at first. But, if I do take them I know I will have to stick with them for a month to st least give them a chance.

Thanks again for your advice, and to everyone one on here, been very helpful

• Posted

You might be suprised Mark. I certainly didn't get any worse in the initial weeks of mirt. Citalopram however, was not good. I promise you, you won't have the same experience with mirt as you did with citalopram smile Try not to worry about the side effects...that's IF you get any. People are more inclined to write online when they have bad experiences....the same as holiday reviews! lol People that have success don't give an online forum a thought, so give it a go. You will feel relieved when you start. Good luck Mark
  • Posted

That is a really good point about forums etc. Wish I had thought bout that! Ha ha.

I am off work soon for a week, so think I will give them a go then, just in case they knock me out. Thanks once again, advice has been very reassuring

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.