Very worried, having to wait 10 days for Ultra-Scan results, but told I have a Fatty Liver!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had an Ultra-Scan yesterday, I was told my liver is Fatty, I haven't seen a doctor for the complete results, I was told to make an appointment to see my doctor in 10 days time, to enable the consultants time to look at the scanned images, this news is really worrying me, I feel like I've been left to worry in limbo until I can get to see a Doctor, I'm worried my liver is badly damaged and won't repair itself... Has anyone else been through the same or similar worrying time? I just need some reassurance and not to feel so alone with this worry?

Thank you in advance

Many kind regards

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, from what I know of fatty liver, it is a reversible condition. Try not to be overwhelmed by the news; sometimes these tests are in error, also. If it were of major concern, your doctor likely would have called you within a day after the test.

• Posted

Hi Sienna, I didn't think of that, yes, I probably would have been called in before now, thank you for the comforting words!

• Posted

You're welcome, Helen. I understand, I tend to be the same way, but it really doesn't sound like they see any reason to be concerned.

• Posted

Hey Helen,

NAFLD (non alcoholic fatty liver disease) can lead to scarring of the liver, but not always. It has to progress quite a long way, but it can be reversed to reduce the risks of this. I wont type out the list of thing to do, but if you Google "reverse fatty liver" theres a wealth of information. Heres a bit from the website health online.

"Research is ongoing into medications that may help treat fatty liver. The first-line of treatment continues to be following recommendations to reduce your risk factors. These recommendations typically include:

limiting or avoiding alcoholic beveragesmanaging your cholesterol and reducing your intake of sugars and saturated fatslosing weightcontrolling your blood sugar

If you have fatty liver because of obesity or unhealthy eating habits, your doctor may also suggest that you increase physical activity and eliminate or add certain types of foods to your diet. Reducing the number of calories you eat each day can help you lose weight and heal your liver.

In the early stages, you can improve and reverse fatty liver disease by reducing or eliminating fatty foods and foods high in sugar from your diet. Choose a balanced diet with healthier foods such as fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, whole grains, and healthy fats like those in nuts and avocados. Replace red meats with lean proteins such as soy, chicken, turkey, and fish. Sweetened drinks, juices, and sodas should be avoided."

Good luck with the doctor.

• Posted

Hi Matt,

Thank you for going to the trouble of sending me this information, I really do appreciate it, it has helped me, I have always been quite healthy and watch what I eat, but maybe there is some room for improvement, I'll up my walking for a start, anything I can do to help reverse this Fatty Liver thing, thanks again Matt!

Thank you very much for your kind words and reassurance, it's much appreciated.

Also, thank you for the Good luck wishes with the doctor, I feel less alone with this worry now!

• Posted

You're welcome. As Sienna says, if it was a major concern they would most likely call you straight away. Keep well.

• Posted

hi helen53866

i was told years ago i had a fatty liver an gp said the woukd keep an eye in it but i went in hospittal to have my gallbladder removed but they couldn't do it as my liver was swollen that was 8 weeks ago i decided to go on a diet to reduce the liver an lost 8 kg an the liver has dropped from 118 to 44 its i dont understand the numbers lol ment to be lower than than 40 but mt gp so pleased he said u can have my gallbladder removed now horray!!!! lol if your over weigh just loss so weight this is why we get an fatty liver apparently only onlt need to loss 10% ofyour body weigh to get the liver down goid luck an dont worry it is reversable good luck

• Posted

Hi Margaret,

Thank you for the reassuring words, if I have weight to lose, it isn't that much, but I'm willing to give anything a go!

I'm glad to hear that you are better now, well done to you!

Thank you again for the advice and the Good-Luck wishes, it's much appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.