Very worried looking for some reassutancet

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

Just background I'm 33 female and like the occasional drinks during the week. Usually have a couple to a few glasses of wine after work not every night but most. On weekends may switch to a few vodka cocktails. During this isolation I have drank consecutively like 4 days in a row in a binge last few weeks and last Tuesday I had a black formed stool and ran straight to urgent care. They said I could possibly have Gastritis from alcohol so they gave me a prescription to control acid... Could also be ulcer worsened by alcohol. No more black stool but they aren't 100% yet. Had a normal one last night but still a light brown yellowish. Scared as hell because Google shows yellow stool can be severe liver damage. I also have anxiety so I cannot stop googling. Spoke to my pcp he said to continue medication monitor it getting better. I won't be assured until normal medium brown color returns. Has anyone suffered from this. Please I'm going crazy! This has scared me straight and i will not be drinking like that ever again!!!! Anyone who can help is welcomed! Thank you

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Edited

Hi Alex,

I know everyones body is different but please dont worry. This is normal when you drink a lot because alcohol dehydrates you, and your stools change color and texture when you are eliminating toxins.

I have also been a binge drinker when I do drink and this is fairly common. As soon as you become more hydrated (recommend natural coconut water) and eat healthy food, try to incorporate healthy fibers and veggies. This will help flush out your toxins and get your digestive system running properly again.

its good if you can give your body a break from alcohol, you will notice the improvement in your body and mind. Follow the doctors instructions and dont look at the internet. The internet many times writes about worst scenarios and its not the truth for everyone.

If you eat healthy and quit drinking for a while you will see great improvements on your body, skin and mindset in as quickly as 10 days. I speak from my own personal experience.

Get well soon and stay safe ☺

• Edited

/thank you so much for your reply. Yes I haven't drank since Tuesday afternoon and then tuesday evening was the black stool. Since then been hydrating like crazy and having tea and avoiding anything that could harm. Color of stool then went from green to light yellow to last night brownish yellow which is as good as its been but still scared it could be damage. Also some pieces that seem to not have been digested like onions. (sorry for the description). I know my guts are probably off whack. but now today is day 6 and my mind is running wild!! i just want a normal stool. Has it taken you long before to get 100% normal stools back? sorry for the personal question 😃

• Edited

Yes I have and yes millions of people have. They all went back to having normal stools when they stopped drinking. Please don't let it keep you awake at night. You don't get serious liver damage from little drinking binges just like you don't have a heart attack from eating too much fatty food when you're on holiday. you might just get heartburn.

• Edited

you have also gotten black stool and then yellow? SOrry to be so personal!!! 😃

• Edited

Clay coloured and then also very pale, Never black. They weren't even yellow they were just kind of..colourless. I can't remember how long it took for them to go back to normal but it wasn't instant. Maybe a week or so. One of the reasons is from a blockage in your bile duct. Bile is what gives poop it's brown colour.

You'll be fine at this point but it sounds like you're at the start of the 'I'm worried about my drinking' journey. It's a road I've walked down and one thing is for sure is that little worries like this will keep popping up on the way. if you carry on. I just got sick and scared of them and quit eventually.

They'll go back honestly. I bet anything I drank more than you and a lot of people did and I'm fine.

• Edited

thanks for the info! Yes I can't keep freaking myself out. I'm not built for it. and i make myself sick with worry. I am definitely not doing this to myself anymore!

• Edited

i have had anxiety from discolored stools the same way you have.

avoid eating lots of peanuts. just small amounts.

do eat more black wrinkled olives but reduce salt from other foods.

canned beans chickpeas legumes

eat fibre like celery cauliflower broccoli.ie roughage

eat RAW apples carrots plums pears

eat fish and seafood but choose sardines over tuna or salmon.

no fried food! no no. avoid fried chicken chips etc for two weeks.

kefir/yougjurt - yes

do not take vitamins or probiotic pills

prepare good meals from.scratch boiled.steamed baked microwaved not fried. two weeks

no alchohol you will surely get back to normal. relax. i made it. it is.doable

• Posted

hi thank you for your response. Was this after a lot of alcohol consumption you had it?

• Edited

It’s ok don’t worry it’s completely normal to have these concerns. I think for me it took me about a week to get my stomach back to normal, but it depends how long one has been drinking, what kind of alcohol (beer, wine, vodka etc) so all these factors make things vary a bit. But don’t worry you are in the right track back to getting well 😊 maybe when you can you could by some stomach probiotics, this will help bring down the acidity and the digestion process. Avoid heavily processed and fatty foods for now, the less work you give your digestive system the faster it will recover. Xx 

• Edited

Thank you for your kind words! Yes I have started probiotics which usually i am on but havent been so diligent. Trying to eat fiber and as plain Jane as i can! drinking tons of decaf tea and water too! i'm just praying i see something normal soon!! Thank you again XX

• Posted

Hello, my user name is kferrara12 I am a registered nurse and a baccalaureate nursing student. I am interested in learning more about your experiences with this issue and what caused it. This will help me understand the real life challenges of patients with this issue and I will use this information to better care for my future patients.

• Posted

Hello, I am also a consistent drinker, possibly more than you. I am 28 and 5 yrs ago i was diagnosed with IBS. My stools changed every colour and shape possible and i could only go with medication which caused bad stomach pain. Since then i noticed wine will turn my stools almost black and clam chowder now makes them pale. With your digestive changes your stools might start changing based on what you eat and drink. I continue to check up on my symptoms just to be sure nothing more serious starts to develop. I hope this can help ease your stress a little cuz I have also googled so much that everything always tells me its cancer which is terrifying.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.