Very worried now. Please help.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm starting to get worried about when I'm actually due my next period. I had my period at the start of March and it lasted for 5 days (about normal) but then literally 2 days later I had another period. I was a complete virgin at the time and that lasted for about 7 days. I've not had a period since and it's close to a full 4 weeks since I've bled. I had sex for the first time with my boyfriend while I was bleeding the second time about 2 or 3 days after it started and we used a condom. We've used condoms every time since too. Also yesterday we were having sex and when he pulled out the condom accidentally stayed in me. I wanted to be safe rather than sorry so I went and got Levonelle (the morning after pill) this morning as I'm not on any other form of contraception just yet but will be very soon. Is it possible that having sex for the first time can make your period late? If so, I've heard that Levonelle can also make you bleed and can make your period early or late. In the past 3 and a half weeks I've taken 2 pregnancy tests because I was so paranoid about the fact that I hadn't had another period yet and both were negative. A little over a week after I bled for the second time I felt very ill, almost flu like but the symptoms went away after 4 or 5 days. Lately I've been getting stressed about end of year exams in uni, my nanna being ill and dying on Tuesday this week and I was also stressing about having missed my period. Because I've been so stressed I haven't really been eating properly. Can any of this cause a period to be 3 weeks late(and counting)? Was the second bleed even a period? I read somewhere that any time you bleed it can basically mean that you don't need a period for a while because your cycle has started over again as bleeding means your body is shedding the uterine lining. Is this true? Also, one of the side effects that a lot of women seem to experience with Levonelle is bleeding for about a week and it can start any time from the day you take it until 2 weeks after, does it mean that once I've bled after taking the Levonelle, if it happens, that my cycle will go back to normal? Sorry about all the questions but I would kind of like an answer ASAP instead of getting more stressed about not having a period yet while I wait for the next 3 weeks for my GP appointment (earliest time they could fit me in to the family planning clinic).

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I meant to ask here "If so, I've heard that Levonelle can also make you bleed and can make your period early or late" if this means that Levonelle will cause me to be waiting even longer for my period.
  • Posted

Sex can impact your cycle. Although the condom stayed in you when he pulled out, the semen would have been at the top and I doubt any spilled and you have some condom hanging out.

The morning after pill is nothing more than a super strong does of birth control. So it is hormones and it can impact your cycle. I think you are needlessly worrying. You took all the extra precautions yo prevent pregnancy and stress, along w poor nutrition will absolutely cause changes in the cycle.

• Posted

Thank you for replying. Do you know how sex can affect your cycle? It kind of makes sense in the sense of hormones released during sex but how do they impact the cycle?
    • Posted

I've no idea... I think a lot of the time the bumping of the cervix and uterus can shake up some residual blood from an earlier period or even make it start earlier.

I think in your situation, this is more about stressing out so bad. When you join the military, one of the first things they tell us in basic training is, don't get scared if you stop getting your period or becomes irregular. Stress, being on the move constantly, exercise, less calories, etc. Can impact your cycle and that's completely normal. You are way over thinking this. How old are you if you don't mind my asking?

• Posted

21. I guess I'm just stressing so much because I've never had the double period thing and I've never missed a period or been this late before. Thanks again, nice to have the opinion of someone who knows what they're talking about.
    • Posted

It happens... I've had my period come two weeks late before, as I was under immense stress after 911 in the military. So it can definitely happen.

Over a ur ago, I had my period and then it never stopped. I'm older than yiu and had to do w my thyroid not producing hormone correctly. I have a friend who gets her period once a year. You're young, your tests came back negative and you took plan B, which is high in hormones. You're good to go.

• Posted

Phew!  Three weeks wait for FP Clinic - the NHS is under stress!

But I am sure you will be fine. Get some excellent Family Planning.  One advantage of "the pill" is that - for most - it tends to regulate periods.

Probably not so much as in "the good old days" when the dose was much higher!

Indeed in my youth [!] when unmarried women wanted the pill they persuaded the doctor that it was for "menstrual regulation"; how things have changed.

The Marie Stopes Clinics [in London anyway] took a more enlightened view ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.