veryyyyyyy depressed, about 7.5 months post op

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello... I had achilles lengthening of both legs to fix an equinus issue

I haven't done much pt but will start soon

The equinus is fixed, but i cant do heel raises now, and my walking is  not normal at alll...   i thought id be   normal by now, but obviously was wrong.

Is this an insane amount of time  for recovery?? I should add that i have a left leg that needs correction...   didnt heal right after a broken leg, and now knock kneed, along with 2 other deformities... i'll be getting surgery on june 1 to fix these issues

I'm not suree wherher it's my achilles surgery or my left leg that's causing me to walk so oddly?? i'm hoping it's the  alignment issues i have hat's causing it, as this  will be fixed

I  can technically walk, but it's not "fun"  if that makes sense. it's far from effortless, and I just seem to walk slowly... I'm not in any pain at all... I just can not walk normally... very frustrating.... if this is the best it's gonna be... if i'm not gonna be able to walk  normally... not be able to run, etc... then i'm not sure how much i'd enjoy being in this world to be honest

I'm just extremely down about all this.... I found this site tonight, so thought i'd  post here...

Is what i'm experiencing normal???   

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Wanted to add something... as i saw in a post that below that 1 week in a cast is 6 weeks of recovery??

I had     cast/boot on for 8 weeks.. because i had broken a leg at the same time!!!

just wanted to give all info so  i could an indication of whethyer my recovery time is in the normal range

• Posted

I'm so sorry you feel so low ,you really have been through the wars ,I think your doing well 7 months is a long time but if you read through the forum it will show that in fact its the norm for a lot of people ,I myself have been of my feet now for 18 months so I no how soul destroying it can be ,I've just pulled a muscle in my bum lol so I'm layer up in bed again it can seem like one thing after another,but you have to be positive ,when I first found I had snapped my Achilles I thought give it six months and I'd be good to go ,how wrong was I ,keep positive you will get their ,I've been told I will have a limp also its not a nice thought but you got this far just don't push yourself to hard ,good luck
    • Posted

ty mary,

18 months???? yes, i thought the same as you... especially since i had surgery on both legs.. give it max 6 months, i'll be walking great by then

18 months is so long... and yes, it's soul destroying... I've been positive so far but it's such a long recovery time... I'll start really going hard at pt, and see if i can get back to normal soon.. I don't have a limp even now, but it's just a chore to walk

• Posted

So sorry to hear your having such a horrible time. My daughter injured hers on a screen door and has had surgery to fix it. She will be in a boot for 4 weeks and then pysio after that. (8 weeks no weight bearing) From everything ive read on here and on other sites, recovery really depends on the person but can take 6 to 12 months. Hang in there and stay strong and positive. This is a horrible thing to go through but you will get there, it will just take time. Frustration is very normal, try to keep yourself busy. Thinking of you.
    • Posted

ty tracy...

i guess a lot of people on thos forum take up to 12 months to recover... even with pt and only one achilles to heal

It's the worst injury i've ever had... by far... broken legs are much easier to recover from than this

I'm hoping it gets better soon

• Posted

It probably is your achilles that are making you walk oddly, because they will be very tight and need work to stretch out and flatten the scar tissue, Pliates is very good for correcting the body when it has had to over compensate , but also to realign you.I have had my moments when I have felt things won't be the same again. I'm the sort of girl that likes to dance on the tables, I won't be doing that for a while! but can still bust some moves, just take it a bit at a time and make physio goals for yourself. Everybody recovers at a different rate, work as hard as you can and celebrate little victories. One year in with a ruptured achilles, I stumbled badly in the cinema today and am now waiting to see.....
    • Posted

my alignment issues are definitely not related to my achilles surgery though... the   bone itself is very out of place in a few planes... only thing thats going to fix my left leg is surgery

im gonna take the pilates advice though//... im glad to har pt can flatten the scar tissue, and make it less tight....  my left is very tight... not painful, but noticeable

but how is your walking otherwise??? my goal and wish is to be able to go out walking with no issues at a modreate speed.. i have very modest goals now... hopefully can do that by september

hoping therapy and pilates fixes me up if i do it over a few months... definitely need to work on strength

but i guess my experience is not so abnormal?

• Posted

I have just come back from a hoilday in New York, I am 13 months in, I had a wonderful time but had to wear flight socks the whole day, every day, my walking is still ugly and I do limp, I also find if I overdo it, I get pain in my side tendons and across the front of the foot. I can nearly do tiptoes on one leg and I am still improving but progress has slowed.Just work as hard as you can without overdoing it, all the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.