vestibular migraine

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was given Botox injections  about 4 weeks ago. I feel worse... More headaches, tiredness, nauseau . Have had the condition for a year and a half - topiramate doesn't help. I feel rather hopeless as Botox was supposed to be the best standard treatment for this condition.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

So sorry you are not finding relief.  I had no idea that botox helped vestibular migraines.  I have not been offered that treatment. I thought botox helped mostly with migraine pain.

​i know there are other medications to try and i hope you find one of them helpful. i am following a migraine diet and i also find that 400 mg of magnesium supplements help a great deal.

• Posted

Patricia, thank you for that. I'm new to this site - was looking for sites that might show how others have found solutions to their migraine/vestibular migraine symptoms. I 've had this condition for over a year, and with the NHS, it takes ages on waiting lists, after they've put you on  a drug, and then you find it hasn't helped, to get back to see them again. I'm in London and initially paid privately to see a professor - she was very nice and diagnosed it, and suggested 3 drugs, but none has helped. Did you have vestibular physio? I did, but again it didn't seem to 'provoke' my symptoms , which is what is supposed to help. I feel rather desperate at times - like I've lost my old self. My whole life has changed. One consultant suggested riboflavin - but again - no relief. Some docs think foods do have an effect; another neurologist I saw, said not important.. I've tried acupuncture and craniosacral therapy, too. I'd try snake oil, if it helped! I am taking magnesium, but will increace my dose. 

• Posted

I've read that any intervention done, like drug therapy, vestibular therapy, and supplements as well as diet changes take time to make the symptoms better. I had vestibular therapy and yes, I can still feel worse as I'm doing them and even for a while afterwards, but over time (at least a month or more) I have noticed definite improvement in the intensity of the wooziness, dizziness. I seem to get almost immediate (within an hour) when I take magnesium, but I'm not sure it works unless I keep taking it daily. I tried one drug so far, verapamil, but it had too many side effects the first week on the lowest drug, so my doctor took me off of it. Some people I read about on facebook vestibular migraine group sites (just search on facebook for these groups, there are numerous ones) have found relief from symptoms through certain drugs plus vestibular therapy. And there are many who definitely think that staying on a specific diet, free of sugar, gluten, high carb, and other specific migraine trigger foods has greatly helped them. I have gotten a book, The Migraine Relief Plan, on Amazon and am trying to follow the diet from the book. There is a facebook site (name of the book) for the people who are on this plan that is helpful. I can tell that over the 2 weeks I've been following it I have noticed improvements. You follow the diet for at least 4 months and then you can add back specific foods one a week to see if you react to them. Another good book, is The Migraine Miracle, which I also got on Amazon. It is a paleo type diet that the author, a neurologist, has said helped him find relief from migraine pain. There is also another facebook group for this book. I have learned a lot about vistibular migraines by going on these other wesites on facebook. Don't give up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.