Vestibular Migraine / Migrainous Vertigo - what helped you?

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hi I've just been diagnosed with Migraine-associated vertigo after 10 months of daily symptoms. The main ones are dizziness and imbalance, but I do also get headaches and weird neurological-type symptoms like numbness, slurred speech, confusion etc. I can not currently work it is so bad.

Has anyone overcome this? If so, what helped you? So far, I have been unable to tolerate Amytriptiline (massively exacerbated the dizziness, plus caused very bleak thoughts) nor Propranalol (caused faintness) even at their very lowest doses. I've just ordered myself every vitamin under the sun that has shown any promise with migraine, because I have to wait a few months to see a neurologist again. I will take meds if I have to, but in the meantime I thought I'd try more natural methods.

So, anyone had this? Did any vitamins help or meds or lifestyle changes? It's difficult to tell if anything is a trigger or not for me as it's a chronic daily problem as of 10 months ago and nothing changed in my life at that time that I can pinpoint as a trigger.

Many thanks and hugs to all who suffer from any type of migraine - you have my sympathy.

3 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

your symptoms sound similar to what I suffer with Hemaplegic migrane.  The thing that has helped me the most is Botox!  With HM I get stroke like symptoms and I get admitted to hospital.  But since Botox, I have never had any more admissions.  The other drug I take is Flunarizine which has helped reduce the duration of HM.

Best of luck mudskippa hope this is some help to you

• Posted

Thank you. I am so glad you found some things that have worked for you smile I will look them up.
    • Posted

Hello

It's this medicatios you mention need to be prescribed by a doctor???

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Yes, they both need prescribing by a Dr.  If you live in UK Flunarizine is hard to come by and only Neurologists can prescribe it.  The Botox is a programme the Neurologist sets up

• Posted

Hi. I suffered similar symptoms & was initially diagnosed & treated for migrainous vertigo. After 2 years of suffering I was finally properly diagnosed with B12 deficiency & I'm now on the mend. Please google B12 deficiency & if it fits your symptoms get your B12 levels checked - it's saved my life no exaggeration!! Good luck
    • Posted

PS. I was initially prescribed the same medications as you & they both made it worse, probably because it wasn't migraine related!!
    • Posted

I've been taking a B complex sporadically for a while now to try and fight the awful fatigue - and my blood tests reflected that. But I'm so glad you found out what it was for you - it must have been a massive relief. Your reply will no doubt help someone else on these forums. Thanks.
    • Posted

Can I ask what your B12 levels were? My doctor is saying my B12 levels are "normal" (I'm at 326) but I'm pushing for B12 injections to see if it helps because I've also been suffering for years and cannot work. Thanks, Kelly

• Posted

Mine were through the roof, well above normal (because I take supplements). I don't think more B12 would help (although you can buy B-complex vitamins if you like). My Balance Scientists recently recommended I take more Vitamin C, Zinc and Vitamin D. There are many contemporary studies showing that Vitamin D can help with various neurolgical problems, including MS, migraine and stroke. I'd try some Vitamin D if I were you, especially if you're not outside much (i'm not, due to a lot of bedbound time!)  x

• Posted

Can I ask what your B12 levels were? My doctor is saying my B12 levels are "normal" (I'm at 326) but I'm pushing for B12 injections to see if it helps because I've also been suffering for years and cannot work. Thanks, Kelly

• Posted

Thanks for confirming. I'll definitely look into those vitamins!

• Posted

My heart goes out to you I have been diagnosed with Migraine given Amytriptiline,

(no better) next step to see an neurologist ......

• Posted

Good luck femmes! I hope you find something that works for you.
  • Posted

The only thing that helps me is to sit and do breathing exercises and try to just accept what is happening. Easier said than done, but a lot of the symptoms are worsened by worrying about them or getting fed up with them. Nutrition is essential but will take awhile. If you can't tolerate meds as I can't it is the only help there is. Good luck
    • Posted

This is really good advice. I'm trying to get back into meditation. I find it difficult as I feel ill 24/7, but I will persevere. I felt I was dealing with being constantly ill fairly well until I took Amytriptiline, which didn't agree with me. It really affected my mood and judgment. I'm trying hard now to get back to my accepting way of thinking, with the odd "fed up day" thrown in!
    • Posted

It is difficult when you feel lousy t accept, but as you know by straining against it the feelings get worse. I find that there are still day I don't want to do it because I feel lousy, but when I get started it doesn't go away, but my responses change. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.