Vestibular Migraines

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on this forum for a while now asking lots of questions and getting advice.

What started off as a sudden onset of labrynthitis for a week and multiple episodes for 2 years has now turned into " vestibular migraines" have been back to consultant at hospital again this week as it is now permanent and never goes away. My head always feels fuzzy. If I look down, up, left or right I am dizzy. Lying down and getting up is awful. Consultant and neurologist are adamant it is "vestibular migraines" and have put me on amitriptyline antidepressants. Has anyone else been given these for this condition and did it help??

Kathryn

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kathryn. I don’t have the same mess but  Same diagnosis for me - labyrinthitis following a whiplash injury, now vestibular migraine with permanent dizziness To varying degrees, pins and needles, fatigue, brain fog, heavy limbs, difficulty walking at times  etc but I have been prescribed prochloperazine, for the dizziness and nausea, beta blockers to prevent the migraine and codeine for the pain, which all help but don’t get rid of the symptoms completely.  I hope you have some success with your medication but please keep us up to date if you can as it is helpful to know what works for others. 

Many thanks

Amber 

• Posted

Hi Amber

Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear you have also suffered with the same as myself. Living with this is the worst.

I have been given prochloperzine from doctors and they didn't help at all but I started the amitriptyline on Sunday night and I am amazed how my dizziness has stopped already.

I feel so much better, side effects of them are a dry mouth and I do feel a bit "spaced out" but nothing that is stopping me doing anything and would much rather this feeling than what I have suffered with past 2 years.

• Posted

Hi Kathryn,

Yes i was taking amitriptyline for quite a while, just a small dose of 10mg.  These did help me quite considerably.  I was diagnosed with VN but also told that it was likely i had Vestibular migraine hence why my consultant put me on the Ami.  I am now around 85% recovered but don't really expect to get to the 100%.  I am no longer taking the Ami but I would say give them a go they certainly helped me.  

best wishes

Laurence

• Posted

Hiya Laurence

Thank you so much for your reply.

I am gobsmacked as only started taking them on Sunday and

I feel so much better already, side effects of them are a dry mouth and I do feel a bit "spaced out" but nothing that is stopping me doing anything and would much rather this feeling than what I have suffered with past 2 years.

My consultant has told me to increase my tablets to 20mg after 2 weeks but I don't want to do that as afraid the side effects might get too much for me..

What do you think?? Should I just stick to 10mg as it is clearly working for me.

Thanks again

Kathryn

• Posted

Hi Kathryn,

My consultant also asked me to increase the dose gradually to 20 then 30mg.  I struggled on 20mg so never got to 30mg.  Like you they made me feel a bit groggy.  I was happy on 10mg, these also helped me sleep a lot better which definitely helped with the dizziness and migraine.  I think sleep is one of the key factors to improving the condition.  Now that I no longer take them my sleep is not so good but I am doing okay without.  

Glad to hear that you are feeling so much better, these dizzy illnesses can be quite awful and unless you have suffered no one else really understands.

Best wishes

Laurence

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.