vestibular neuritis

Posted , 2 users are following.

last friday had savere case of vertigo sickness,runs,spinning could not stand.was taken to hospital by ambalance where i had head scan and mri to rule out stroke.i was in for 5 days sent me home on tuesday evening not happy as i was still having problems seeing they said i would be ok in couple of days two days on im still the same im taking CYCLIZINE how long should it take as im worried about my job as iv been off 15 weeks with hernia problems iwas suppose to start back yesterday until this happened can anyone help me

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

.On Friday 15 February, just after waking up, I had that sicking dizziness of my life time. I thought I am going to pass out. I ran around, I sat, and eventually lied down. The bout was over in about half an hour. It was most frightening experience. I thought the cold has got to my head. I remains feeling medley sick throughout that day.

The next morning, about half an hour after waking up, I had that dizziness plus sicking of my heart again. This time it was in a busy supermarket. I turn very cold. It lasted for about 3 hours, and then for one hour the same evening.

On the following day, it started at about 8 AM and did not relent until 1 PM. I could not eat or drink anything, not even tea, coffee or light drink, I threw up all. It was then I decided to go to the hospital. I was thoroughly physically examined, my blood sugar and my blood pressure checked, my ECG scan done. I was diagnosed with Vestibular neuritis. I was given PROCHLORPERAZINE tablets, to suppress sickness and dizziness, but think I can cope without them, for doing so might accelerate compensation process of the brain.

Now I am on its fifth day, and it is getting milder in dizziness, the sickness and vomiting has abated as well. If I do not walk, or make rapid movement of my body or head, I feel somewhat fine.

The future: I am anxious as to what damage this viral infection might have caused to my inner ear mechanism. My hearing is intact, which makes me feel quite grateful. But I am not sure if the function of my vestibular nerve has been permanently compromised.

• Posted

3 weeks on and im stil not 100% iv still got that sickly feeling and my eyes not focusing right when moving my haed not good
  • Posted

It has been about three weeks since I first had the symptoms, and since then, I think I have made a good recovery, but still have mild bouts of heavy head and mild sickness. I have learnt it takes about 2-3 months for one to get well completely, so if I were you I would not worry, instead get active.

Check out this web link:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002049/

• Posted

Thanks Moderator! I found the leaflet very helpful, relevant, informative and thorough.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.