Vestibular Neuritis 4 weeks- slow progress- fullness and ear and dizziness

Posted , 3 users are following.

Diagnosed with Vestibular Neuritis after I went swimming. Ended up in the hospital- had prochlorazine and was told to see ENT. The following 2-3 days had violent vertigo, off balance and nausea. Went to ENT who preformed hearing test, all okay. He suggested  Vestibular Neuritis and normally goes away after a week or so. He referred me for a MRI(which came back fine) and also a balance VNG test- which I have not been to yet as cost $600 and he said to wait couple more weeks.

Help would be appreciated around your thoughts- 4 weeks on getting better slowly- been going gym and this has helped with my balance.However, I get head spins still on and off and a heavy full feeling in my ear is still there. I start work in a week and stressing this will be my life, I am worried I won't be able to work(I am a teacher). I am going to do the VNG but have to wait 3 weeks for next available appointment. 

Any one share similar story? Please help!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anne 

I’m glad you have seen ent and they have an idea of what it is. 9 weeks ago I had a bad Cole which left me with reassure in ears, slight pain and noise in my ears. 2 weeks later I lay on the couch one night and the pressure of the pillow touching my head made me vomit, this went on for a few days. I went to my go and she treated me with antibiotics and stemetil for an inner ear infection, a week later I felt fine 4 days of feeling fine then boom all of a sudden I started to get slightly dizzy associated with horrible pressure in the back of my head and neck. I went to a&e and they gave ne an antiemetic and sent me home, I have been left with this slight dizziness and awful pressure ever since. It appears to get worse at night I am taking betahistine this seems to reduce the pressure and paracetomal 4x daily. I still have no answers, I have been referred for ct scan but it’s a 6 week waiting list. I went for physio band she thought it was maybe a mechanical issue stemming from tight muscles?? But that wouldn’t explain the ear issues and the pressure being reduced by taking betahistine. So you are not alone, I really hope you start to feel better soon. I need to take diazepam every night or I can’t sleep for the pressure and anxiety. It’s just awful xx

• Posted

Hi Kerry,

Thanks for your reply! Sounds horrible. Feel for you as it seems these doctors really only know half of what's going on. Have you got a pressure in your ear? Mine feels like I always need to 'pop' it. 

I really feel like this must be inflammation and maybe a steroid should help. I will suggest this to my ent , but he will probably flog it off as he told me in my appointment a couple weeks back that not really any medication for this, only thing you can do it get your brain to compensate. 

Wish you a speedy recovery smile 

• Posted

When your balance system is attacked for whatever reason as it will effect every aspect of your life that you initially took for granted, e.g. being able to walk in a straight line without feeling like your going to keel over.  Once the brain adapts to the change, called compensation, then things can start to become less problematic.   I was off work for a month when mine initially started and had me collapse to the floor and thought I might never get back to work, but I did.  I'm a community nurse and had to take it more slowly getting out of the car as bending my head to get out made everything inside my head go 'whoosh.'  It was still there but not to the point where I could no longer stand upright and I had to do things more slowly and adapt the way I did things, no longer able to take stairs without holding onto a hand rail in case I fall.  I can still do things now that I use to do but not necessarily at the same fast pace that I use to and am more aware of my posture and what movements I make that make it worse. I found walking in a straight line with my eyes closed in a safe place really help my brain adjust, just a few small baby steps at first was all I could manage, eventually I got better at it.  It was my own made up exercise to help my brain compensate, be careful though and make sure if you fall over you have a soft landing.  Wishing you all the best in a good recovery. 

• Posted

Did you ever have pressure in the back of your head or neck? Xx
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Anne! That's good to hear that you are compensating now and I take my hat off to you as a nurse with these issues! You must be strong. 

I will continue fighting too and I am trying to remain doing the things I was doing before . It's just hard when you feel like you are spinning often lol

• Posted

I have a bulging neck disc so do get stiffness/discomfort in my neck and also pressure at the base of my skull and a pounding feeling sometimes in my left ear too. xx
    • Posted

Good that you are still trying to do things you were doing before, because it really helps.  Going to supermarkets use to be a problem with the bright lights and having to look up and down the rows of food but I persisted and eventually it got easier.  I found pushing through the dizziness and being off balance must have eventually helped the adjustment to the balance centre trying to recover.  Also keep hydrated with water as I think dehydration can make things worse.  

?I'm not that strong,smile  there were times when I was in tears wondering if it would ever go away but now I accept that it might always be with me to a greater or lesser degree but it has never been as bad as it was when it first started so I am thankful that I have recovered at least 90% to where I use to be.   I wish you a full recovery.

Best wishes.  Anne. xx

• Posted

I’ve just been for ct scan of head. How did you get your diagnososis of bulging discs? Praying my results aren’t sinister xx
    • Posted

Hi Kerry

?I had a diagnosis of bulging neck disc for years before my balance problems started following an x ray for back pain.    An orthopaedic surgeon told me that it would be a problem for me but at the time it wasn't.  It was further picked up when I went for an MRI when I started with dizziness but apart from that there was nothing of note in my MRI.  I have been diagnosed with silent migraines since and took Nortriptyline for a over a year which really helped reduce the balance and visual problems I was experiencing.  Alongside this I was also having bouts of BPPV in my left ear, whenever I rolled over in bed everything in my head rolled over to and made me really dizzy.  The best advice I had from the consultant was not to get the 2 different problems mixed up as at the time I thought it was all the same condition.  Thankfully the BPPV is not a problem at the moment.  I have to be care not to eat too much chocolate as it triggers the silent migraines.  I had a left sided head injury many years ago which caused tinnitus in my left ear and was told that it had caused neurosensory damage and I think it is all connected as it seems to much of a coincidence that all the problems I have are in my left ear.

?I was convinced when I went for my MRI that they would find something sinister but it all came back negative thankfully, try not to stress too much whilst waiting for the results of your CT as this will only make you feel worse.  I know it's hard not to feel anxious but anxiety also worsens dizziness/balance problems.  I noticed the link myself when I would have to deal with a stressful situation that my dizziness would always worsen.  Deep breathing helps when the anxiety is getting a hold.

?Let us know how you get on.   xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.