Vestibular neuritis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi into week 10!!!!!pulli g my hair out! Swaying nausea! Had bloods mri all clear!!! Everyday more or less the same! Doing physio! Any inspiration please 😔

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Physio should help, but takes time. There is medication called Serc which can help a bit. Talk to your doc, see if can can get an apt with an ENT. He/She can do caloric testing.

• Posted

might have wrong diagnosis. they missed something. if its menieres the physio won't help.

• Posted

Whenever I have an acute sinusitis (I probably have a chronic one too, but it never has the effect I'm about to tell you abut), or sometimes even a sore throat, it ends with weeks and weeks of vertigo, nausea and dizziness. It's horrible, because I have to function normally and everything is so difficult!

What happens is that infection goes to my middle ear(s) and affects the center for balance. Until the infection clears out, there is nothing I can do . It sometimes takes even more time to get things they were before. Taking antibiotic usually doesn't help, because the root cause is a virus, not bacteria.

When things start to get better, I experience some improvement , usually in the morning, but as the day goes on, the symptoms return.

Over time they get milder.

What helps me is to control t he mucus production , which means cutting dairy (I eat it rarely anyhow) and avoid allergens, which is difficult if you live in a city.

I also inhale steam and when I do so, I also turn my ears downwards, so that the steam can heat them better. This helps warm the fluid inside and drain it through the Eustachian tube.

If your symptoms are present when you're in bed, maybe you should put one foot on the floor. Sometimes it does the trick.

I hope this helps!

• Edited

Hi Teresa,

It does get better!!! It really does. I'm about 20 weeks and am starting to feel 'normal' again.

It's a horrible long slog, but keep at the exercises, especially when they are making you dizzy.

I'd recommend watching Sharon Hen's youtube video's. Also any of the other recovery video's that link to it.

I'd also lay off too many facebook groups as people who recover tend to disappear from them, meaning that you see a completely lopsided perceived recovery viewpoint.

I go through phases where I feel really down, but the recovery is happening, just very slowly. You have to push yourself.

• Posted

HI RICHARD thanks so much for positive feed back, went back to GP to get some cinnarizine but made me so drowsy can't take anymore!! It's hard to believe it's getting better when I feel like I'm getting worse!!! Agree there are alit of scary stories out there and anxiety with it making it worse!! Back to work next Monday no idea how I'm goin to cope!! The average recovery time seems to be 6 mths!!!! It's the nausea and now have slight ringing in my ears which didn't have at the beginning!! All very strange!!!? Do the symptoms change?

• Posted

Hi Teresa,

I tried Cinnarazine too and lasted about two days as it made me feel awful.

I think that most people seem to agree that if you can stop medication then you will improve quicker as medication will subdue your vestibular system (easier said than done).

Anxiety-wise, I found that doing meditation helped (not my cup of tea before, is now). There are several apps that help.

Recovery time seems to vary wildly, but the symptoms absolutely do change. Sometimes they feel weird and scary (like imflammation), but you do improve. The anxiety improves as you physically do. You have to force yourself to move and do things. My rehab guy said it's one of the only illnesses out there where the only way to get better is to make yourself feel worse.

There are lots of ups and downs but you will get better. Some days won't feel like it, but your brain will figure it out. I found walking helped, even house work at first.

Do the exercises. Sleep as best you can. Avoid the scary stories. You will make it.

• Posted

Thanks Richard, this week has been the worst nausea Ive had!! And buzzing in my ear!!! Makes it very hard to do anything! More I move sicker I feel!!! Just want ly down all the time! How I'm going get thru Monday at work! It's great to no there is light at week 20 👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.