Vestibular Neuritis 8 months later report and heads up post

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi all, I will try to be short. 8 months ago I got struck by typical syndroms of Vestibular Neuritis (I didnt know then what it was and never heard of it so I panicked a bit). Typical smyptoms (dizzines, lightheaded, sleepy, wanted to vomit, problems in abdominal part etc). Only first day I experienced 2 short and strong vertigos. First few weeks were like hell as you all can imagine (some of you also get through this). On top of that I was going on summer holiday in that state as I didnt want to spoil the vacation for my kids and wife. Hell on earth tbh. Only after 4 months I "fully recovered" (smyptoms were weaker, gradually as time passed away). Last few months the situation is much much better, I still have (from time to time, let say every 2 or 3 weeks) vsymptoms but that is in really small "doses". Almost that I barely feel that...

What is VERY IMPORTANT to know for all the NEW PATIENTS. This thing is not a super serious illness. You wont die from it. It WONT last forever in 95% of cases (note: the older you got struck the less chance there is). So all you need is to prevail and to be strong (mostly in your head since the illness is influencing our brain, our mental state). The center of it is an inflamed inner ear which is responsible for our cener of gravity..this is why the symptoms are awful....So dont worry you will be getting better. Worst part for me is that my doctor told me the smymptoms usually last not longer than few weeks which ofcourse isnt true at all. For most ppl it can last much longer. This I learned on the net reading articles from doctors who are experts in VN.

If you want you can tell me your experience, ofcourse..

All the best and hold on..

6 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hello i come across this when im still undergoing vestibular neuritis.i have been like crying the past 4 months and ashamed of it since im a man.i had my anxiety spiral with poor vision in the night .i cant use computers phones or watch tv so devastating.but the good news is that since 21 st day last month i can walk.right now im 90%i dont know how to gain the remaining 10 it seems its taking forever please help me .im working as web developer and my work stopped the moment it encounters vs on feb3 .my fear now is maybe if i start working in computer it will start.im contemplating on changing careers.please help.

• Posted

thank you for this. i know you went through hell and glad things are better. i don't suffer with that i have bppv that are frequent like once a month but i end up with months of dizziness afterwards. its so nice to hear something positive. i now suffer with severe anxiety due to the dizziness and have even had the paramedics called. i need to keep telling myself its not life threatening but its just so traumatising. whenever i have an anxiety attack m going to read this post. thank you!

• Posted

Hi,

I really want to thank you for your post. I've been dealing with non diagnosed vertigo since 5 weeks ago, 2 episodes within the first weeks. And now i have i guess the residuals of vertigo, imbalance and chronic nausea that does not go away. It has slowly improved however i'm on the time of the month and it seems to have worsen. Also, i have hypothyroidism and my tsh levels were at 14.7 which is much higher than normal so hopefully now that i am taking a new dosage will help this issue. My doctor thinks it has nothing to do with it but i do based on what i read in the net. All i gotta say is that is really down emotionally and hard to hang in but we have to keep doing it.

• Posted

Hi, just 3 weeks ago i got diagnosed been up and down. frustrating because after like a week and a half i felt back to normal then it came back on again.

Tinitus has just started recently, my question is yo you. You said you had tinitus near the end of you episode. How long did it last for you?

• Posted

Hi just wanted to share that after 12 weeks i have started to feel better my imbalance is much better no sudden movements help and my nausea is a lot milder than before

i had a ct scan and mri which showed nothing and my thyroid (hypo) was slightly off so not sure if this was related.

• Posted

So nice to read so many stories. I'm 4 months in and just recently relapsed. The first month is definitely the toughest, then each month from there gets better and better.

I started with a loud drilling in my head, migraine, extreme vertigo, dizziness, tinnitus, visual problems and swallowing issues. I'm still battling all those things but they aren't as violent. Does anyone know of anyone with all these weird symptoms? Sometimes I look strange in the mirror. Bright lights effect me terribly. I was an athlete. I still force myself to exercise when i can get out of bed. I can drive a car again as long as I am feeling safe too.

VN slams us pretty hard. I had to stop working and quit my studies because i have problems concentrating and putting sentences together. I'm also having memory issues. I stay at home a lot because I feel way safer but i definitely keep pushing myself daily especially with my exercise which is aerial acrobatics (worst sport for a VN sufferer).

Can people with VN still socially drink or long term out of the question? Any vitamin suggestions? I'm still drinking coffee and eating chocolate. Anything to up my blood pressure? - it's been low since I developed VN.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.