Vestibular neuritis... and feeling good while driving .. any help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone  ... I'm having dizziness and imbalanced since 7 weeks ...first 10 days were too strong ... but then better to 60% ... And last 4 weeks I had good days like I feel 85 % better and bad days that goes back to 60 % ( from the first attacks ) my ENT diagnosed me with VN .  And I'm taking betahistine

( betaserc ) .. I quite them for some days .... but my ENT told me to keep take them ....so should I kept take this tablets ? 

!!!! One strange thing that I feel so good and better while I'm driving but  once it stops and go out of the car I start feeling not good again ( even when it was strong dizziness and imbalanced ) 

I can walk and do some runs ... but the thing is that I still have some issue with the balance when I'm walking and even some pressure in my sinus and forhead ( exactly up of the nose ) and the confusion .

The real dizziness went away as I said .... but the rest of theses things are annoying me too much ...

So how long it takes to get full recovered and don't have the bad days of dizziness and pressure and  confusion even if they are not that strong .. any help I will be appreciated ..

Thanks .

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Same here, good whilst driving but once my feet needed to be used to walk could barely walk in a straight line. Betahistamine did nothing for me.  I think the balance system and all its sensors are related to feeling our position and spatial awareness.  I was becoming very clumsy as my balance was impaired.  Now I have adjusted to this after having ongoing issues for a few years since it first happened.   I was eventually diagnosed with silent migraines after 2 years but was also having bouts of BPPV.  Initially the dizziness was extreme but then my brain compensated and although it is always there to a greater or lesser degree I am overall much improved due to compensation.

Dehydration and anxiety worsen the problem for me and too much chocolate affects the silent migraines which were affecting my vision and balance.

​Hope you recover soon.  You need a correct diagnosis more than anything for a treatment to work.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply ... sorry to hear  this ... I hope u have a fully recovered very soon . 

My symptopms are much better than before ...but still have that kind of confusion and fozzy head and a bit of pressure sometimes  .... and the most strange and unique thing ( is feeling good while driving or riding a car as a passenger and even on escalator ) but once the motion stops the symptoms return back ... 

I think for most of people 90% they will never get relief while driving ...I think it make them worst .  

But for me even when it was strong it reliefs by driving ...that's made me crazy tho .

• Posted

Your most welcome and hopefully you will fully recover.  It is exhausting as the brain is trying to compensate for the feelings of imbalance but it does try to adapt as best it can.
  • Posted

Today is day 10 for me. On day 3 I absolutely had to drive, so I waited until 8 at night when there wouldn't be as many people on the road. I drove really slow with my emergency flashers on. It was like driving drunk at three times the blood alcohol limit!. Yesterday on day 9 I drove myself to the ENT and it was equivalent to 1.5 times the legal limit. Of course I am estimating here.

I was ecstatic to find that there is valet parking at my hospital now. So I didn't have to figure out a way to get from my car to the building. The valet brought me a hospital wheelchair.

You are lucky that you get relief while driving. 

I don't fit the criteria for any of the the listedcauses. My ENT said that I don't fit the criteria for anything at this point as well. I wish I had BPPV because at least there are exercises and drugs that can help. Meclizine has done zero for me. 

So frustrating!!

cry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.