Vestibular neuritis and hormones??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello! Haven’t used this site in ages! April 2016 I woke up with the room spinning. 8 months in saw a neurotologist who did vng/caloric testing and said I have VN (24% damage in right ear). 

Anyway! I had been feeling pretty close to 100% for almost a year. I noticed I felt more “off” in the lead up to my period but it was so slight it hardly bothered me. Last week I had sun stoke which caused the dizzies for me. But sadly they never fully went away. Today was a bad day (again, not full vertigo like I had back in April 2016 but more a light headedness/feeling off) and then hello! Period arrived. But this time around was different as normally the lead up to this time of month goes almost unnoticed. This time there was no escaping the feeling. Head movement makes me feel off, and if iv been lying down and go to sit up I feel faint. 

I’m really upset about it. I thought after a year of feeling close to 100% that this was all behind me so can’t work out why I’m feeling so rubbish again. I would say I’m back down to 75-80%. So yes, not as bad as I felt in April 2016 but can’t wrap my head around the fact I could feel so good for so long and now be here again :-( does anyone else with VN or labs find around their monthly things go to the pits?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have been diagnosed with vestibular migraines and one thing the consultant mentioned to me was that It could have relevance to an early menopause . Which I laughed my head off at as am only 40 years old. I still don't think it has any relevance but just thought I would mention it to you as obviously the doctors believe that hormones etc could have relevance to vestibular conditions xx

• Posted

I always questioned VM but the neurotologist I saw said my symptoms didn’t match up with it. I do have a history of migraines in the family but he still said it wasn’t that. And I did have a year of being fine. I have just turned 30 :-)
    • Posted

I was not convinced but I have a neurologist and an ENT consultant saying I definitely have VM so who am I to argue.

I have medication now and it is working so I am happy.

Kath x

• Posted

Do you have any other health issues like gallstones,gallbladder not functioning, IBS or gastric, just to rule out you are not getting the issues due to indigestion issues.
  • Posted

Hi Melody

I can relate 100%! Yes...i believe hormones play a role for me as well. Don't worry about it too much as it's something you really can't control. How old are you? I am 52...and still having periods! Yay me!

As for your relapse...i had VN for 2 years then it went away for 5 years and then i relapsed for 4 months. It was terrifying at first but it turned out to be nowhere near as bad as the first round. Hang in there. You will be back up to 95% very soon!

Debbie

• Posted

Hey! Hormones have always seemed to be an issue for me. I started puberty at 8! Yet didn’t have my first period until I was 16 so quite late lol. I also have PCOS. My headaches have always been hormonal too and when I get a headache I know my period isn’t far off! I have never felt this poorly before tho, usually I get slight symptoms but I can ignore them. This time, no way could I ignore them. But sure enough my period arrived and the next day I was feeling ok again. So strange! I’m hoping not every period will set me back like this one has! Thanks for commenting it’s reassuring to know I’m not alone! I just turned 30 :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.