Vestibular neuritis finally diagnosed after 4 months GP visits!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi. I am hoping someone/anyone! Can relate to me. It all started when I had a 'funny turn' at work back in November 2013. I'll never forget that day as I haven't felt the same since. I thought I was having a panic attack as I just felt wrong. Strange not really here sort of panicky feeling so I went home and went to bed. I woke up to an even worse fuzzy vision panic feeling and had to lie on the floor while calling nhs emergency number as I didn't have a clue what was happening to me. I calmed down eventually and made my first visit to the doctors who said it was a panic attack and prescribed diazepam. At the time I didn't want to take medication as I felt so unusual. I knew something wasn't quite right. I continued feeling extremely anxious panicky and off balance for weeks on end along with continuous tearful visits to the doctors explaining that my vision was disturbed and my eyes were flickering along with pressure inside my ears. Eventually after about 8 weeks of hell I got an appointment with a balance clinic who did testing and confirmed right ear damage and confirmed vestibular neuritis. I am just posting to see if anyone has experienced the same symptoms as me as when I read posts about VN it seems that I can never find the same symptoms as mine which scares me to death ) : here goes: - I can't think straight, avoid people because I feel I can't hold a conversation because I'm sort of panicky and don't feel like the old me, I have moments of real panic that come out of the blue because I just don't feel right, very small things stress me out like even just someone at the door! I know it sounds silly but I'm just a panicked mess having to put on a front to everyone. The worse symptom at the minute which has gone on for a long while is a pressure in my chest/back that doesn't go. I've read somewhere it's muscle strain due to my balance but I just don't know what to believe anymore. My thoughts are just different since I've had this, I don't know where my old personality has gone. It's like I'm hyper aware that I'm not right. Anyone's advice would be much appreciated, I've had this since November 2013 and I am doing gaze stability exercises 5 times a day. I'm having good and bad times but generally feel a nervous wreck. It's so draining. Alcohol doesn't even relax me anymore, it just makes me more lightheaded and panicky. Sorry for such a long mo any post but no one can understand why I have been so weird for months. Please help. Leanne. 

4 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Leanne the site is _____ (link broken) my best friend Jill R is on there please give it a go let me no JoJo 
    • Posted

Hi Jo. Sorry I didn't reply, I've had trouble with my connection. Thank you for all the support I'm going to look at that website thank you. I got on well with the vrt appointment. I still have to admit though that I can't understand how gaze stability exercises will help these vile symptoms like my shortness of breath and fuzzy head feeling. I'm prepared to try anything though. I'm still panicking about going away because of how I feel but I'm just going to have to try and ignore the symptoms (so hard though) thanks again Jo. Take care xxx 
  • Posted

Hi Leanne. I do not have the same thing but it is also odd and doctors could not explain it. Similar, as I became irritated to my wits end with sound....all sound. It was sudden onset, however for a few months I had longed to be in a quiet, removed area like the dessert, where stimulation was vastly reduced and silence reigned there. Well, as I was suddenly beset by bombardment of noises (everyday, ambient noise) feelings of panic were upon me.  I got off the couch at 9:30p and dressed and drove to the CVS pharmacy to buy ear plugs. (Has to exchange them until I found a kind that blocked out almost all sound). What a releif. My panic feeling and heart pounding and confusion and nervous/jittery feeling reduced profoundly. I went back home and felt relief; peace replaced the panic I felt. I am a vivacious person and love the activity of my home and daughter and grandson, who live with me...but those things are a problem now. I wear ear plugs much of the day. They dont get it but they immediately adjusted. I had to be sure they understood that they are not a problem...it is me. Something has happened to my peace...with sound, it leaves me. 

I am a great lover of the Lord Jesus Christ. He has saved my life in a horrible situation. He rescued me and I speak to him all throughout the day. Interestingly,  I have not spoken to Him of this. It was so sudden and took me off guard. I have had severe anxiety in the past due to the deadly situation the Lord pulled me out of, so anxiety in its severe form is no stranger to me. Odd things are no stranger to me either...but this is different. 

Leanne, the silence helps me. Maybe it will help you too. Go to CVS and buy a tub of ear plugs that are BRIGHT PINK AND IN A CLEAR PLASTIC TUB. Squeeze them tightly and place them in your ears. They will puff back up and should drown out most noise. Be sure they do because noise must be reduced. Give them a try for a few hours. Just worth a try...right? I have a feeling about you. 

This I must also add: Sometimes our Lord Jesus Chist  uses odd ways to get our attention. Leanne, He has a voice. He speaks to us. The world is too noisy and distracting and it drowns our Beautiful Lord out. That is what Satan wants. Yes, he is real and he will do anything to interfere with our accepting the Lord as our own and allowing Him to run our lives as they should be run. Satan rules this world only for as long as the Lord allows him to, then, he is off to the Lake of Fire because of the wickedness which he inflicts upon man. We have a choise, the Lord Jesus Christ....or....not. If we choose not, we turn our back on the Lord of all Creation and that will be the worst anxiety for eternity.

I say this because it is more important than a pair of ear plugs, my friend. I hear the pain in your voice. Get ear plugs and get a bible and read the book of JOHN in the new testament first. The first words there tell it all, "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God."  "And the Word was Light. And the Light shown into the dark (those who do not not know God) and the dark did not know Him."  Sad. 

I pray that you will know our Lord Jesus Christ and accept him through the reading of His Word. I think He seeks to speak to you...you need silence. Listen and His very soft voice may be heard. That is what I am doing today, as my attack was only a day ago. Maybe you already know the Lord, if so....listen, He wishes to speak to you....that is what I feel. I will listen too, friend. We are bound in love through the most profound Sacrifice ever given, the blood of Christ and through that sacrifice, we are invited to the very throne of God for a wedding feast with our Lord and a life with Him for all of eternity. Let me know how you are, Leanne. 

With arms outstretched and hands upraised to the one and only True God, who is Christ Jesus our Saviou and Lord,

Susan (pen name: Shoshannah Batya)

• Posted

Hi  Leanne. I see you got dx and I am so happy. I am going to neurologist this week. When I get feeling wierd the ear plugs always work. I still think you should try them and see because it will cut down on the overstimulation of vestibular nerve. Contact me if you try it, ok? I am curious if you like it. If it helps you decrease symptoms and me...it may help many get through auditory problems. Thanks. Your friend, Shoshannah
  • Posted

Leanne, thinking of you. I hope you are well as I see you havent posted in months. I pray your are. God grace is sufficient. 
  • Posted

So sorry to hear your condition. I've got Eustation Tube disorder... I think. But my symptoms have been haziness, can't concentrate on normal things. I am constantly dizzy... Thought I had a brain tumor but had a few tests and everything seems normal. Thought I might of been pregnant because I was so dizzy and sick. I can't move my head to quickly when I'm out and about in case I fall over. It is scary when you have no idea what is going on and why.  I have a constant need to pop my ears and my sinuses blocked...and my teeth are all sensitive. 

The headaches have been the worst, I don't feel like I've had a moments peace since it started in March 2014. 

I get anxious and scared. I have suffered with panic attacks too...usually in the middle of the night but have learnt yoga techniques to help calm me down...but it's very scary that no one really knows how you feel. 

I hope you've had some luck since first writing this post. 

• Posted

Hi. How is everyone? Just came across this post... I too have these ear problems. Eustachian tube dysfunction and had labyrinthitis. Its truly evil... I'd rather have no teeth.what things do you do to help?
  • Posted

Hi i've just seen your message from a year ago can I ask how are you today? I've been diagnosed with vestibular heuristics. trouble with my balances eye flickering tinnitus in my left ear. Did the exercises help.
    • Posted

Hi Victoria. I'm sorry to hear you are suffering with this vestibular problem. It's so awful to cope with so I hope you have a good support network around you X yes the exercises help. Have you been given any to do? X Leanne
    • Posted

What are the symptoms that trouble you the most. If you can explain to me how you feel I can try and help on my experiences I've had X
    • Posted

Thank you I've got weak balance system in my left ear I have a feeling that I'm being pulled to the left my eye flickering blurred vision. When I stand I feel like I'm swaying on the SPOT. When I'm sitting down it feels like it's rocking. Did the exercises help you?
    • Posted

I'm waiting for physio I'm trying to do vestibular rehabilitation. I just feel weird when i walk about gets worse when I go out side.my body just feels sticky the doctor try my on 3 different antidepressants it made things worse.
    • Posted

My docs did exactly the same! Get in with your vestibular rehabilitation as quick as possible. You will feel better but mine does come and go. Hold your thumb up at eye level and do some exercises following it left to right slowly (when you are feeling too dizzy or icky then stop) this will strengthen your system. Also print off a capital A and focus on it while turning your head (slowly ) side to side always focusing on the A. Do this for 30 seconds slowly at first as the aim is not to feel dizzy. This will strengthen your eyes. Try some balance exercises too like standing on one leg for 30 seconds then swap and do the other. When this gets easy try it with your eyes closed.

I obtained all this advice from a lovely lady who had the same as me. She was and still is an absolute god send because this illness can be awful but you will feel better in time. Leanne

• Posted

Also do you work? If so are you on a computer at all?
    • Posted

I've been off work for one year they finish me last month. I work as cleaner at a school. Do not like using the computer at home it affects my ears like blowing sensation and pulsating feeling in my back I never had the spinning Sensation.Do not I like turning to the left when I feel like I'm walking on sponges.Have not been out the house for over a year only for doctor or hospital appointment my husband has to have time off work to take me.l try those exercises.l was told by a ent that I got a weak balance system Thank you for getting back in touch xx
    • Posted

You poor thing that sounds awful. The only thing I can think is to keep pushing to see a vestibular expert. It can be very debilitating feeling like you do X
    • Posted

Hello, this is so random but I have what the doctors suspect to be vestibular neuritis. It's been 4.5 months. Are u fully recovered now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.