Vestibular neuritis for 10 months, and tinnitus ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello! 10 months ago I had vertigo. I have seen an ent and also a neurotologist who did vng/caloric testing the concluded vestibular neuritis . I have 24% damage/weakness in my right ear. 9 weeks AFTER my vertigo attack I got tinnitus and it's been constant ever since. My hearing test is normal but there was a slight drop in the 2k something or rather in my LEFT ear.

My question is, could it be from the VN? Why would it come on 9 weeks in? And does this mean it's permanent ?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Vestibular neuritis does not cause tinnitus, as the latter is a hearing pathway problem.  Is the tinnitus in the left or right ear?

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Right ear. My hearing test came back a slight dip in the left but they said they still consider it normal
  • Posted

Is there a feeling of fullness from the right ear?  Has the vertigo attack happened more than once?

• Posted

With the presence of tinnitus, you either had labyrinthitis from the beginning, or the vestibular neuritis spread to involve the hearing part of the inner ear to become a labyrinthits, hence the time difference.  What treatment did you receive?

• Posted

Nothing yet. I'm waiting to hear from the neurologist about what to do next. I'm guessing vrt.

• Posted

Asky you doctor about the possibility that the labyrinthitis may be bacterial, and if you should try antibiotics.  It does not sound viral as it should have gone away by now.  If it is bacterial, the tinnitus could go away with the antibiotics.

• Posted

Well the ent said he believes I am healed it's all anxiety now. I am about 95-98% better. I was just wondering why the tinnitus came on so late and no one seems to know why so thought I'd try my luck here smile

• Posted

Back in August and September, was hospitalized for nausea, vertigo and vomitting. September's admission after comparing both MRI, was diagnosed with mild ms and given four months sick leave. Was seen by ENT and neurologist then. While on sick leave, saw the neurologist at ms clinic who after reviewing my MRIs, concluded no evidence of ms but rather vestibular neuritis. Been having physio as well. My worst feeling is head fogginess with some vertigo in the afternoon. Therefore I am taking betahistine then and need to sleep it off. Also, lying on my back seems to affect dizziness as well. Ruled out BPPV and Meniere. Back at work part time. Progressively working up to full time. How long will this last? Getting frustrated

• Posted

Don't use the betahistmine as it's a vestibular suppressant so ur brain won't be able to compensate, it basically puts it to sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.