Edited , 9 users are following.
I'm really looking for some input and advice... and maybe stories from those who are suffering with Vestibular Neuritis or who have gone through this in the past. I feel so alone, anxious, hopeless and depressed. I'm actually not really confident if this is even what I have, but so far two GP's seem to think so. Here's a brief history of me.. I'm 34, female, always been physically healthy, my diet is pristine (no dairy/gluten) and I'm very active. I have always struggled with hormonal issues (extreme PMS), health/general anxiety and depression. I have struggled with mild vertigo/dizziness 7 years ago and then again 5 years ago when I was pregnant. Both times sent me to the doctor but the symptoms went away after 2-3 weeks max. I have also had a few episodes of dizziness here and there over the years but only lasts a day. So here's my story... forgive me if this is a bit long.
Almost 6 weeks ago after an evening run I felt dizzy... non spinning. Just like my equilibrium was off. This has happened before, so I didn't think much of it. It went away shortly after that. The next two days (Thursday/Friday I got a few minor dizzy spells, but wouldn't last long. My period was due to start, so I assumed it was from that. Anyway, that Saturday at 1 AM I started my period. I went back to sleep and woke up with a really bad one sided headache/neck ache... worse than my cramps! I got up had breakfast, took some pain meds and then got back in bed. A couple hours later I felt hungry so I got up... that was the moment my nightmare began. I was SO beyond dizzy... it wasn't spinning vertigo. More of a swaying, loss of balance, whirling sensation. I also felt very lightheaded and anxious. I felt like I was going to vomit or pass out. I got back into bed and my husband brought me some food, as I felt like maybe I needed to eat. It seemed to subside after that. But every time I got up the same thing would happen! I went to my GP that Monday and at first she thought it was my iron, as I have suffered with this before... But I take an iron supplement and my blood test was fine. She she then thought it was BPPV. Sent me to a physical therapist... who said that I didn't test positive for BPPV. So, my GP did some more blood tests and wanted to order and MRI. Went to another GP for a second opinion and he said the same thing. My MRI and all blood tests came back perfect. So, they both now think it's Vestibular Neuritis, referred me to a Neurologist and want me to take 15 days of a steroid (prednisone.) Which I'm reluctant to start. I feel like I can function more than I could 6 weeks ago, but I'm still debilitated.
These are the symptoms I'm feeling on a daily 24/7 basis....
1. Non spinning Dizziness... more like a swaying, head whirling sensation. Sometimes I feel like I'm being slightly pushed to the right or pushed forward. Pressure in my face and a heavy head. Like it's going to fall off. It's way worse when I move my head or when I'm walking around. When I'm lying down relaxing, it literally almost completely subsides. I do feel it when I turn over in bed, but it's not severe.
2. I literally feel like I'm BUZZED/DRUNK! This is actually the worst symptom of all. I literally feel like I've had a couple glasses of wine and I'm waiting to "sober" up but it never happens.
3. My eyes can't focus very well at all... I don't really experience bobbing or double vision. They just feel heavy, pressured and tired like they are moving faster than my head. I have a tendency to close my right eye because for some reason it helps me focus better. Looking in the mirror feels weird. Again, like I'm drunk or maybe even stoned.
4. Brain fog, lack of mental clarity and exhaustion is unreal. It feels like I haven't slept in days or I'm living in a dream.
5. Right sided neck pain and headache... sometimes it radiates behind my eye. It's not severe or anything and not always present.
Things that make it worse are anxiety, if I'm hungry, grocery stores/shopping, alcohol/coffee, if I get upset or cry (which I've been doing everyday for the past 6 weeks) or if I'm extra tired. My symptoms always seem to be worse in the morning and start to subside a bit later in the day...
I'm a bit reluctant to believe it's VN as I didn't have a cold or any type of virus before this all started. I also haven't had any ear pain, fullness, pressure or ringing. I thought it could be hormonal as this all started the day my period started. But my GP seems to think it's just a coincidence. I also thought that it could be my blood sugar as I feel way worse when I'm hungry. But she did a diabetes screening which came back perfect.
I feel like I'm at a loss and I'm going to feel this way forever. I just don't know what to do. My anxiety and especially my depression is at an all time high. I dread every day. Could an inner ear problem really cause all this? I went from being an active person to barely being able to wash the dishes. I feel so guilty because I'm a stay at home mom to 2 kids and I feel useless.
Anyway, any advice or input would be much appreciated!!!
2 likes, 5 replies