Vestibular Neuritis ? Spaced out!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys,

Just wondered what people thought - I started about 13 weeks ago with what was diagnosed at the time as Labyrinthitis. I never experienced true 'spinning vestigo' but was totally disorientated as if I had necked a bottle of vodka - this lasted maybe 3-4 days of which I stayed in bed and over time I have steadily improved.

I paid for a private ENT consultant who was sceptical of the Labyrinthitis diagnosis. He suggested I go for hearing diagnostics caloric ect but at £400 I decided to give myself some time to see if I improve.

All my bloods were fine but for the past two months I've had a CONSTANT 'spaced out feeling' like I've had a few beers or maybe even some wacky backy (even tho I don't touch the stuff) my balance seems fine and have no other symptoms other than I seem to tail off towards the end of the day.

The doctors (as usual) put this spaced out feeling down to anxiety which of course I have a lot of for obvious reasons. I have tried an ssri for the past month but the feeling is exactly the same.

I this 'spaced out' feeling common in vestibular neuritis - does anybody have any advise??

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have had the results through from the hearing tests and it states I have borderline bilateral hypofunctional vestibular responses. Can anyone interpret this ? Or what could have caused it ? I also have left / right imbalance of 14%
    • Posted

It is difficult to draw a conclusion from a test that is borderline.  How did your physician interpret it?

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

He is sending the report to my ENT, he was unsure really - says some sort of initial vestibular pathology more than likely. But wasn't sure if the low responses were just my physiology.

• Posted

We will therefore have to wait for the ENT impression.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Will keep you updated. Any neurological issues clots / tumour / TIA would have been indentified by now right especially after the calorics ect? Just to put my mind at ease.
  • Posted

I'm still thinking it's something to do with the fact I had a hsv infection at the onset of symptoms. I've also noticed I have several crusty sores on my scalp , could it be something like shingles ??

• Posted

There has been a development - I found a used pregnancy test and an empty packet of antibiotics x4 500mg azithromycin dated 22nd march.

I asked her and she said they were for thrush???!

Is it possible I have been suffering from some sort of sti / std all along.

I had symptoms down below when I started with this in July which I thought was hsv but thinking about it might not have been.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.