Vestibular neuronitis from Prevnar pneumococcal vaccine?

Posted , 4 users are following.

As part of a routine exam, my doctor gave me the Prevnar "pneumonia"vaccine.  The next morning, I experienced such severe dizziness, I wasn't able to get out of bed. This gradually lessened to the point where I was able to function but still had severe "positional" vertigo

An ENT diagnosed my condition as vestibular neuronitis caused by vaccine.  This began on 1/21/17 and has not gotten better.  Has anyone else had this happen to them after being injected with this vaccine?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

There are no reports in the literature relating the onset of vestibular neuritis with vaccination.

During the vaccination procedure, were you perhaps in a lying down position for an extended period of time?

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Very similar to my experience. I had the Prevnar vaccine over a week ago. I never had a sore arm or aches and pains that seem to comprise the bulk of complaints that I have read of. But, that night when I got up to go to the bathroom, I was so dizzy I could hardly walk. When I got up later to begin my morning, my head spun and I fought nausea. Fortunately, it quickly went away upon standing and I learned to wait for 10 seconds before trying to stand up. Dizziness continued upon arising and again when laying down for 7 days. One day was especially bad throughout the day just from standing from a chair. 

It seems to be getting slowly better, but I hope it completely goes away. I can't help but attribute it to the vaccine as I've never experienced vertigo like that and it set in on the night of my earlier vaccine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.