Vestibular papillomatosis

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have an appointment at a sexual health clinic in a few days time. I have recently suffered from persistent and constant candida infections or at least thats what i thought it was.

Not terribly itchy but i do have a low immune system as I had glandular fever not so long ago.

About 2 days ago I noticed a linear clump of weird villi/finger-like projections on the labia minora near the vaginal opening. They have never caused me any issues previously but I have experienced pain during intercourse so maybe there is a possibility that this is the cause? I dont suppose it is HPV as i have had the vaccination which supposedly protects against genital warts too. Ive had discharge that is attributed to thrush for quite a few months on and off, always dries as a off white crust. (Sorry if this too much information, it is pretty gross)

I read online that it may be Vestibular papillomatosis (hope my spelling is correct) but i also read that this is uncommon?? I have a nongraphic photo of the bumps/projections if that helps but really im just looking to see if anybody has had a similar experience!

Many thanks

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The photo would help, but it sounds like VP from your description.

There are widely varying estimates of the prevalence of VP.  One paper says this:

"Vulvar vestibular papillomatosis is an anatomical variant of the vulva. [1],[2] In a prevalence study in London, UK, one per cent of women showed vestibular papillomatosis. [3] Other authors found prevalence rates between 5.1 to 33%. [4] From our experience with a multidisciplinary vulva clinic, the rate seems to be around 5% (unpublished observation)."

(Year : 2010  |  Volume : 76  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 270-272

Vulvar vestibular papillomatosis

U Wollina, Shyam Verma

Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Hospital Dresden-Friedrichstadt, Friedrichstrasse 41, 01067, Germany

)

• Posted

Very informative, thanks so much! How would I share the photograph? Its only of the affected tissue
    • Posted

You need to be on a PC or laptop with a large window to add pictures.  If you are, then you should see some extra icons towards the top right of where you type, and the right hand icon (which I think is supposed to look like the sun over hills) will add images.

The pic I've attached here shows the icons: 

• Posted

Ah okay, I wont be able to tonight but tomorrow I will do
    • Posted

The comments in reply to erika show a photograph below
  • Posted

I have a linear bumps but when i looked down there i didnt see anything its weird. Nit even my ogbyn saw the bumps but i can feel them i always wondered what wherr they. I had them when i was little
  • Posted

these are the bumps in question, hope this helpsĀ 
    • Posted

Oh yeah i definetly dont have those. It looks like hpv warts but i also looked up vestibular papillomastosis and it def looks like it too. Maybe its not uncommon maybe it s just confused a lot with genitial warts but they look strikely similar let me know what the doc says
    • Posted

Will do! im going to the clinic tomorrow but I dont think results come for almost 2 weeks

I have had my HPV vaccinations which protect against 90% of HPV strains that cause genital warts but its more concerned about the strains that cause cancer so its not always all inclusive

im hoping for the best anyway, my current partner has none but he may carry the virus and be unnaware, who knows

• Posted

I heard about the hpv shot failing at doing its job. Idk if its true or not. But some ladies got cervical cancer after having the shot apparently if your already infected with the virus you shouldn't get the shot..but im not sure it still pretty new still have to see if it actually works or not. I got mine too but i didnt know as i was still a kid. Yes thats true some people have outbreaks some dont. But warts can look like cauliflower too and yours look more like fingers so i really think it's the other one but i read it can or cannot be related to hpv as well. But i hope you get some answers soon

• Posted

Thanks so much! Im on my way to the appointment as I type this but ive also read articles on the hpv jab being a failure but more so in america than in the UK? probably the same jab thougb
    • Posted

Well theres been death from.the jab reported. Also women already infected with the virus it makes the virus worse. If you get the jab so thats why i dont think anyone should get it after sexual relationships. I heard the shot was made for white people and doesnt really benefit black race but i am not sure on this i just read its made.from white DNA. But i mean im Mexican and so far no warts no dysplasia.
    • Posted

Back from the appt, she said I have nothing to worry avout and that its 'just a oittle bit of extra me' so skin. No thrush OR bacterial vaginosis which is so weird considering the discharge? Had a HIV and syphillis blood test and im pretty sure they tested for gonorreah and chlamydia but i wont get those results for a week or two

• Posted

Those look like VP to me.  Surprised your gyno didn't suggest that.

The HPV jab seems to be working a lot better than initially expected btw.  It was designed to protect against cervical cancer, but also seems to work well against the HPV strains that cause warts.  As far as I know, it benefits all races, but it should be given before any sexual exposure.

• Posted

If im honest, i think i got it just after id already had sex so who knows id already contracted hpv or not rolleyes wasnt aware of the reasoning behind having it afterwards at the time because i was younger haha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.