Vibrating/Twangy Distorted Hearing,

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all. Im looking for an answer or reason for what im experiencing with my hearing. I am currently under referral with an ENT how ever he is unaware of what im suffering with at the moment as he has cancelled appointments, ive tried to get all avenues to get to see him him but no joy. I just have to wait for the next appt which is in march. To cut a long story short, when i hear people talk or myself on the end of the sentance , it sounds TWANGY . When this started, id get a stuffy nose, pulsating in my right ear not my left and pain on and off, which i still do, the pulsating wore off when i went to the doctors as she gave me antibiotics but it flared up again, went away and over the last couple of days has come back the strange thing is ,what ever it is, it swaps ears and its never at the same time. backround noise, is the same but not TWANGY as it is when people speak. I have noticed to that i get a slight burring, i suppose more like a vibrating and this makes my ears more twangy. I take pain killers and it seems to work i think, but it doesnt get rid of the TWANG. Ive always had tinnitus so i know its not that . sorry if im babbling but im so depressed with it all now, its affecting everyone around me. Ive also had cholesteatoma which is why im under referral after care. If there is anyone else out there thats having or had the same thing as me, please let me know. my husband is taking me to A&E sat because i cant cope any more. Doctors dont take any notice and im at my lowest ebb. x

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi nicola, i had a very similar thing to you. i still have it but its more minor compared to when it was everytime i spoke or someone else raised their voice. My voice would whistle on certain words and just sound electronic?! and if people got excited and their voiced rose, my ears would beep!! like you i have tinnitus so docs just said another form of it. great! whilst another said its eustachian tube related and "will go on its own". that old saying. it has improved, but it has taken a year and 4 months. mine got much better when i started using neilmed nasal wash!! im confident mine is nasal related. i use their irrigation wash everyday. i hope this helps you, keep strong. things change. i kept telling myself that.

• Posted

Thanks Emma for your reply, i did think Eustachian tubes. I still think it could be, i hear my own breathing but that has improved a bit, worse on my left side and i think thats down to me still have cholesteatoma/retracted ear drum in that ear which they havent removed! I know what you mean by electronic, more robotic? ive had that in the past but that was way back when i had my surgery on my right ear. it lasted for a month or so , right now its in my left and its like a loud burring on top of my tinnitus and then the distortion to go with it. im so glad to hear your feeling better hun...hopefully i will get to the bottom of it and get rid of it!! look after yourself and ill post when i find out whats going on xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.