vicodin for tramadol withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok I posted once already buy didn't get any helpful support.   I haven't took tramadol in three days .  But I did take 2 vicodin each one of those three days.  So my question is tomorrow I'm going to not take anything at all and try to kick this for once and all.  I am expecting to feel awful and this is so scary .  But will not taking the tramadol for a few days even since I took the vicodin make my withdrawls smaller .  I have had the chills and sweats...my theory was just at least to get the tramadol out of me before going cold turkey which is why I used the vicodin to maybe ease into easier? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The theory is that the hydrocodone (Vicodin) will give your body the opioid effects it craves, while you get used to doing without the SSRI effects of tramadol. (How well this works for you will depend on which effect gives you the most trouble.) But, even if this is the right path for you, I believe it will take more than three days for your body (and mind) to adjust to the change in serotonin levels. I'd try to give myself more time on the hydrocodone.
    • Posted

Thanks I have five of the vicodin left.  I will try to space them out over the next few days.  Each day actually I have felt more and more withdrawls like today I am super super cold . So at least I know my body is repairing itself somehow.  Do you think that after I am done taking the vicodin I will be hit hard with withdraws?
    • Posted

That will depend on what is causing the wost of your symptoms. If the SSRI withdrawal is causing the worst of it now, then the worst of it may be over by then. But there just isn't any way to tell right now. Either way, you have a head start.
  • Posted

HI Brandi, i quit Tramadol last september, i was taking 1000,-1200 mg's a day- the WD's were pretty bad- the hardest part for me was the mental WD's but once i kept reminding myself that these thoughts and feelings were as a result of the WD's it helped- i had the usual physical WD's no sleep-restless legs, sweating and chills-stomach in bits-couldnt eat for days-you need to keep reminding yourself it will get better-once you do this once you dont have to go through it again- the WD's didnt really kick in for me untill the second day off them-probably because of the amount i had in my system-everybody is different in how they react and how long the WD's last-it may be worth your while getting something from your Doc to help lessen the side  effects-cold turkey can be dangerous, depending on how many you have been taking and for how long-are you prone to seizures-this can be a problem when withdrawing from any opiod / alcohol- drink loads of water, take magnesium for your stomach- try and eat what you can- i wish you the best of luck -
    • Posted

Thank you!  I stopped taking the vicodin.. I didn't like taking it and didn't see how it was helping.   I started to ween myself now I just can't handle the withdrawal.. You are a strong person to go through that congrats to you!  I am down to one 50mg in the am and again in the pm and half of that in between.   I am happy with that.. It week I will dtake away 25mg.. Then stop.   Will I withdrawal from the last 25mg? 
  • Posted

Hi Brandi, it seems like you have a pretty good handle on the taper-from what i have read and from my own experience, you will suffer some WD's especially when you quit the final 25mg-take it slowly, let your body and brain get used to each reduction before you even think of cutting down further-better to do it right this time so you dont have to re-visit this nightmare again-the severity of the WD's is unpredictable some people suffer more than others-with the slow taper you hopefully will not suffer too much- remember that no matter what the WD's are-do it this once and you are done for good-you wont have to do this again-Ever!!!!!! you will be done with the pills-try not to get to worried about the possible WD's-they may not be to bad-the fear is often far worse than the reality-stay strong-keep letting us know how you are getting on-best of luck Brandi

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.