Videourodynamics test

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I'm a 36 year old male from Brazil.

I've been dealing with voiding difficulty for quite a few years (difficulty to start urinating, weak and interrupted stream, frequency, urgency, dribbling and sensation of not having emptied the bladder).

My previous doctor always prescribed me ciprofloxacin when I had periods of intense bothersome symptoms. He used to treat my condition as if I had chronic bacterial prostatitis.

I've recently had appointments with a few doctors in one of the biggest cities here (the medical system in Brazil really sucks) and I've undergone a lot of exams: digital rectal exam, uroflowmetry, prostate ultrasound, urodynamic testing, urethrocystoscopy and urethrocystography.

Urethral stricture was ruled out and based on the images of my cystoscopy one of the urologists diagnosed me with Primary Bladder Neck Obstruction (PBNO).

My urodynamic test indicated low voiding pressure and also low Q-max and average flow. It also indicated low detrusor muscle strength.

The last urologist I talked to said that in order to be really sure whether I have PBNO or another problem, I should undergo videourodynamics (which is a very hard to find and expensive exam in my country).

I'm already in the process of arranging an appointment for me to undergo such exam, but I'm very anxious with the fear of not being able to complete the voiding part of the exam. Bearing in mind that such exam consists of urodynamics combined with x-rays it isn't going to be possible for me to be 100% all by myself while trying to pee (because of the necessity of someone handling the x-ray machine)... I know it may sound ridiculous but I really have difficulty to start peeing with someone around.

Could anyone with similar problems who has undergone this exam tell me a little about it? Are there any tips for me to follow?

Is there any male in this forum who has had Bladder Neck Incision?

• I hope I my English is ok for you guys.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

i have almost the same symptoms.

do you have occasional intermitent urine flow, or is it just a weak steam?

I am a GP here in colombia and suffering from similar symptoms i think we can help each other

• Posted

I also have intermittent flow.

I hope I'll find out if it's really PBNO. The doctor also said that it could also be Detrusor sphincter dyssynergia or even underactive bladder.

My urodynamic test indicated low voiding pressure and very low and intermittent flow.

• Edited

You are not alone my urologist is between those two diagnoses.

The underactive bladder its probably just some trabeculations because of the obstructive pattern( in many cases these subside after the obstructive pathology is resolved).

About the Detrusor sphincter dyssynergia you can easily know by looking at the sphincter electromyography of the urodinamic test( if its abnormal you are probably having some obsructive sphincter activity)

The videourodynamics is the gold standard for PBNO so relax men you will know when you get it done

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.