Views on back pain sought.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had back ache for years on and off especially if I overwork and one side strains. Now at 70+ I have more or less permanent aches and have exercises but does not go away. Now I have a generalised lower back pain across the back and down the upper legs which eases if I walk around. has anyone bottomed this type of pain/ache out and worked out a regime to deal? Of course paracetamol works for a while. Thanks.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

What has helped me with my back pain is morning stretches and core exercises given to me by my physical therapist.

• Posted

There are so many things to try. Not all treatments and supplements work for everyone in the same way. I would strongly encourage you to buy a TENS unit. They are not very expensive ($30 on Amazon) and they work well for a lot of people. You can find instructions for correct patch placement based on your symptoms online. I definitely get some relief, unfortunately the minute it stops the pain returns. But the way they are designed these days you can wear it all day while doing your daily activities.

You might also consider seeing a pain management doctor. They can do injections to help relieve the pain. Also there are medications that can help with the pain in your upper legs as well. I'm afraid if I mention them by name my comment will not be posted, so if you want the names just shoot me an email thru this website and I'll tell you the names that way.

Because of your age I want to suggest that you Google a certain autoimmune disease that can cause lower back pain in older people. The disease is called polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR). It typically effects people 50+ years old. The pain is in the lower back, hips and shoulders. It can also cause pain in the upper legs/thighs. Also the pain will be on both sides of your body. PMR pain does not respond to the average pain medicine. The only true way to get any relief is by taking prednisone. So anyway, do a little reading up on it and if you think your symptoms match what you read then go see your doctor. He/she will do a blood test testing for inflammation. If you have elevated inflammation markers then he/she will put you on prednisone (typical starting dose is 15-20 mg). If it relieves your pain then it is confirmed that you have PMR. There is a wonderful group on this site that is dedicated to people with PMR.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.