Viral gastroenteritis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello to the community

On last Sunday a viral gastroenteritis gradually started ( at midnight to Monday I started having fever ).

This fever stopped after 1-2 days actually ( let's say till mid Tuesday ) however ( with some fluctuations ) the diaroia hasn't stopped completely. It got more frequent since Monday evening that the symptoms appeared more.

Tuesday: I had many times diaroia

Wednesday: About the same or little less but at night took Imodium ( not sure if you will know it, I'll let you know the substance if not ). Anywyays it is the pill for the diaroia that prevents it.

Thursday: Way better ( no pill ) progress. Temp 37 in the morning- 36,6 later.

Friday: It got a little intense in the morning till evening with 3-4 times diaroia, took pill and for 24 hours was ok

till today that I had 1 time this evening. Temp 37, at night probably perfect.

doctor prescribed antibiotic for the gastrenteric system which I'm taking for 5 days.

So now it is 5 days and I still cant say it stopped, some moments Im fine some other moments I have a few times diaroia.

Is this pretty common to you especially if its viral to take 5-6 or more days to heal?

If I'm correct, the acute version is like up to 14 days, right?

Any relative experience?

Thank you very much for your help and consideration.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It depends what type of bug you had; there are lots of them and they all have different durations, Some antibiotics cause diarrhoea too Maybe see your doctor again for further advice.

• Posted

You mean as a side effect in general or the special antibiotics that are prescribed for the gastrenteric system? Because the diarroia already existed.

• Posted

Some antibiotics can cause diarrhoea as side effect whether or not they are specifically for gastroenteritis. Antibiotics can be very harsh on the gut.

• Posted

I wouldn't take imodium if you have a bug because it will just stay in your body. You want the toxins to come out - better out than in!

• Posted

Yea but why do doctors suggest them? I mean don't you want to stop letting it happen so you don't lose water from your body for example?

• Posted

hydrate and use electrolytes to combat the loss of water

• Posted

I would definitely take Imodium to stop the diarrhoea. I would not want the discomfort of running to the loo the whole time. If you allow the diarrhoea to run its course, you will end up not absorbing nutrients because your body is flushing them out as fast as they go in and you risk dehydration. If my doctor prescribed them, I would try them to see if they worked. I would only stop them if they didn't work or I was having side effects from them.In the first instance, always listen to your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.