Viral Infection?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all,

I'm normally fit and well and quite physically active. I'm 34 and do a physical job, but I regularly (2-4 times a week depending on work/family commitments) play sport, go for runs of between 5km and 10km and/or lift weights.

Around two months ago I went out for a run and was completely exhausted after no more than a mile. Normally I can run 3/4 times that distance without too much stress or strain but this one morning my heart was racing, I couldn't get my breath and I was sweating heavily. For the next few days I felt lethargic, short of breath after minimal exertion and suffered dizziness. After a week of taking things easy I tried to get back into it, I played football but the same thing occurred. It was as if someone just flicked a switch on the level of fitness I had the days and weeks prior and I'd woken up that first morning with absolutely no fitness whatsoever. I went to the hospital on the advice of my GP to get checked out and when they carried out an ECG they noted I was (or had been) in VT. This had corrected itself during my time there, but blood tests showed 'high-normal' (their words) levels of troponin (50-60 whereas they said they liked it below 40) so I was kept in for further tests.

I had a 24 hour ECG, an ultrasound, chest x-rays and about 5 other blood tests.

The doctors were satisfied I was suffering from a viral infection. Nothing more sinister and I was discharged. Obviously delighted with this diagnosis.

I'm now two months in and still don't feel right. I'm still suffering from a shortness of breath, random spells of dizziness and what I consider an elevated heart rate after light exertion. After doing some of my own research I would say that I've been experiencing post prandial hypotension after meals. Going back through my medical history I've often recorded 'high-normal' levels when my blood pressure has been taken - to the point the doctor or nurse always picks up on it but has never been too concerned. Could this all be linked or a causation?

The increased HR and shortness of breath occur whenever I do any moving around. From as little as getting off my backside and walking to the toilet its into the 90's, if I walk my dog (no more than a mile) its over 120 and even if I'm stood washing dishes it can be into three figures. My resting, healthy HR is around 50.

I've put on weight too, which is probably to be expected due to the drop in physical exercise but my diet still remains as it was before in terms of nutritional value. If anything I'm not eating as much because I'm not working up as much of an appetite.

Apologies for the ramble, but I'm experiencing all these things and getting so frustrated because I (and the doctors) don't appear to be any closer to working out what it is and how to get over it. I was initially happy to assume it was a viral infection but its gone on for two months now and doesn't seem any better. I've picked up a couple of colds and my skin is terrible during this period too - which I gather would lean towards a viral infection (?) but I'd just like to be able to get back to my old level of fitness and health. I'm more than prepared to work hard to get it back, just at this moment my body is telling me it isn't possible.

Atleast if I knew what it is I could take the necessary steps to beat/live with it.

I haven't even got an idea if this is supposed to be in the heart category, a blood pressure category or something else completely different.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.