Viral infection and Menieres disease

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone been treated preventively for a viral infection that maybe contributing to Menieres disease? The suggestion for this treatment seems random since I have no visible signs or otherwise as far as I can tell. The proposed viral treatment plan is intensive for a condition that may or may not exist. It is akin to treating shingles but is larger doses. 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

It’s not unheard of, one theory is that all this is caused by a strain of the herpes virus. 

Many viruses can manifest without obvious symptoms. I always think anything is worth a try and it can do no harm. 

• Posted

Thank you. I have tried so many different medications and have difficulty in tolerating them. Nothing has really slowed the progression of the disease. I had the sac decompression recently and dealing with the residuals. Just low on energy, I guess.
  • Posted

Hi Rubye. Yesterday I started taking betahistine and a corticosteroid nasal spray. The spray is in case there is infection in my sinuses, which my Dr says could have an impact on my ears/menieres. I don't have an infection there that I know of, but if I do, then it'll deal with it. It seems similar to what you're talking about, I think.

Another menieres sufferer here in Ireland has had good results with this combination of meds that I've started, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it'll work for me too!

If you go for this preventative medication, the very best of luck with it and I hope you get good results. You could let us know how you get on. I'll do the same.

Take care. Pauline

• Posted

Thank you. I have tried so many different medications and have difficulty in tolerating them. Nothing has really slowed the progression of the disease. I had the sac decompression recently and dealing with some of the residuals. Just low on energy, I guess.
    • Posted

It's so terrible! I sometimes wonder if anything actually works. And what appears to work for one person, mightn't necessarily work for another. Take care.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with the herpes virus at age 24.  I took anti viral medication in a very heavy dose for 1 year.  The herpes virus has stayed dormant for most of the past 13 years.  I still take the antiviral medication, but not every day.  My Ménière’s started at age 34.  I have not noticed and help or relief with my MD from taking my antiviral medication.  

• Posted

So when I went to an ENT to see if I had MD, he said the ear infection that brought on my tinnitus was likely caused by a viral infection but did not prescribe any medication. I assumed it was due to the 2 rounds of antibiotics I had been prescribed for the ear infection . Almost a year later I still have hearing loss and tinnitus in my left ear after the ENT shrugged his shoulders and said the only thing he can do is help me get a hearing aid.
    • Posted

Thank you. It is such a difficult disease to control. I have what seem like everything. I have very low tolerance for medications. I had the sac decompression and now being offered this option.  It helped the vertigo but hearing and tinnitus no. My balance is off too. 
  • Posted

Hi rubye,

I'm contemplating the antiviral therapy - just came across this info in the last few months.  I've tried just about everything else apart from a labrynthectomy.  I've had 3 gent injections (work for a while, but then they stop working), diuretic, meclizine, serc, low salt diet, low/no sugar diet, etc.  The only thing that works is diazepam to stop the spinning after it gets going.  I'd rather avoid the whole experience in the first place.  After 12 years, I've come to appreciate that I may never get rid of this, but I'm still hopeful. 

The viral theory, as I understand it, is that at some point you may have been infected through the nasal passage with a herpes virus (there are a bunch, and they all seem to specialize in infecting different parts of the body).  This virus may be latent for many years, and not cause any problems till a date much later than the actual infection - which you may have never noticed or it may have caused a constellation of symptoms that did not involve your ear, balance, etc.  The virus may become active (replicate) when your immune system is down or you are experiencing a period of stress.  The replication of the virus and proteins it secretes when it is active, may cause a dysfunction in the regulation of fluids in the inner ear.  

To me (I've worked in viral research in the past), this is a pretty sound theory.  I can't figure out why more physicians are not pursuing this line of questioning - perhaps the number of people suffering with Meniere's does not warrant funding for research.  

In any case, I'm going to give this a try, and I'll post back to let you know.  

• Posted

Thank you for your comments. My case is very similar to yours. I have been dealings with dizziness/ vertigo like issues for over 20 years issues but coped. Four years ago my world fell apart and has never stopped falling. Sac decompression surgery was in May of this year.  I still feel off balance, unsteady and an aura of an impending vertigo attack.  Haven’t had one since June. Diazepam is the only thing that gave me relief too. Also helps when the pressure and aura are unbearable.  I wish my ENT had offered the viral regiment earlier but maybe he just learned about it.  I will be getting started on it shortly. I will let you know my outcome.  Best of luck.
    • Posted

Hi Meli03. I hope the antiviral medication works for you. I will be interested to hear how you get on. I am on betahistine and a corticosteroid nasal spray for the last week but notice no improvement. I was on it a couple of years ago and it didnt work then either, but thought it was worth giving it another try. I can't get my symptoms under control, so if this doesn't work I might try the antiviral route. The very best of luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Rubye. If you start on the antiviral treatment I really hope it brings you relief. Please post how you get on with it.....I might also try it.

Pauline

• Posted

Will do. I am also miserable at times and have to try something else. There’s been so much barometric pressure lately because of the rain, I feel awful. Neurologist wanted me to try another migraine medicine and it made me feel much worse. I just wanted to give the new one a go just in case. Since there is no cure, I have to give all of my doctors credit for trying. Soon I will be trying the anti viral and hoping for relief. 
    • Posted

Sorry you're feeling so miserable. And yes, because of the nature of this illness we have to keep trying new things in the hope that they will work. Fingers crossed for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.