Viral meningitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am single mum of 2 i  had viral meningitis about a month ago, I am still suffering from headaches, neck pain, dizziness and mild dislike to lights. A few weeks after I tried going back to work but on my 3rd full day on working I ended up getting taken back to a&e, I really felt let down by the doctors as they didn't give me any information about it and about the recovery. I am struggling still I try and rest where I can but with 2 young active boys it been really hard. I'm hoping to get other peoples stories so I don't feel so alone and whether other people have got any advice for me.

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Brog

Do you know which virus?

Did they put you on Aciclovir?

Maningitis is a major infection and it will be a long time before you’re back to normal. The residual symptoms at this stage are perfectly normal.

• Posted

Unfortunately I don't know, I was in hospital for 4 days. 

I can't not work as i am paid hourly but my managers didn't do a back to work form to see if I needed any extra help, but because I work in a soft play centre its busy, and the lighting seems to really effect me and I ended getting taken back to hospital. I just felt I was really let down by the doctors and hospital.

• Posted

Hi there. After I had meningitis I tried to go back to work quite soon as well- I lasted a week, and I've never worked since. Now, I'm certainly not saying that's going to happen to you, but what I am saying is that a month is no time at all in terms of recovery from meningitis. Take your time and be patient, you'll get there.

• Posted

Lucky enough I'm only part time, so going to start by coin half a day and see how I go, I just felt let down by my doctors and the hospital. Are you still suffering from it?.

• Posted

Not the meningitis as such, but the effects of it very much so. My speech was very badly affected, which in turn has led to depression and severe anxiety. Lost all confidence.

​Going in half a day is exactly the right way to go about getting back. Good luck, really hope all goes well for you.

• Posted

Hello,

I had a case of VM two months ago and the recovery is slow. Having a toddler and a 4-month old has made it hard on my wife but she has been holding down the fort. My condition is steadily and slowly improving. Here is what I'm doing:

Hydrate! Drink a lot of water all day, like 4+ liters, but cut it off a few hours before you go to bed so that you can sleep through the night

Eat healthy. I went Vegan/Vegetarian for ~70% of my diet, all organic, low amounts of processed foods

Acupuncture. I'm going to my third treatment today and it really helps.

Careful with alcohol. Eliminate alcohol consumption for awhile. If you must, only take it if you are extremely hydrated, and limit consumption to 1 drink.

Take it easy. If a headache is kickin in, lay down and relax, maybe it will go away soon.

hope it helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.