Virectomy for large macular hole

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I am having surgery on May 15, followed by 2 or 3 weeks with my face down. I am terrified because I have emphysema and I am 78 year old. Could some one tell me if reading is allowed during the "face-down" period?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

No need to worry. You can buy or rent a face-down support package that will allow ou to breathe in bed with your face down on a pillow and to read in a sitting poition. Just ask your doctor or an internet search engine. I wish you success with the operation.
  • Posted

Thank you, Edward 56663. Unfortunately, with emphysema I cannot breath face down, and my doctor does not want me to read for 2 weeks ...
  • Posted

I'm sorry that your illness prevents you from breathing in a face-down position, even with special equipment that would keep your nose and mouth free. Although I now don't understand why you want to read face down when you can't breathe face down, I will just say that I covered my affected eye (which was filled with gas and more or less useless) with a patch and used my other eye, and this didn't affect the healing process. I also listened to audio books, which was easier.

Hoping this helps you, in some small way.

• Posted

Thanks. I was not clear enough! Breathing face down is a problem at night. Reading face down is a request for the day time. A nurse told me that I should not read with my good eye because the operated eye will follow. Is that a fact?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.