Virtual Realiity device and ARMS

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been receiving treatment for ARMD for more than 3 years. Monthly Avastin or Eyela injections have been fairly effective. Both eyes are "wet". My right eye is still good enough that I can read and drive with corrective lenses. My left eye is fairly useless. I have lost mid-vision and anything I look at with that eye is missing pieces and extremely distorted.

I recently visited my brother and his grandson wanted me to try on his virtual reality goggles. When I did I was not surprised that I could not get the 3D effect but enjoyed watching the fish swim around me. The images were very clear. For some ereason I closed my good eye and was amazed when I realized I was seeing the same clear, intact, non distorted images. I made sure I was not using my good eye at all. We tried another app (dinosaurs) with the same result. I waited a few days and had the same result. I wondered if I could read using the goggles so my sister-in-law brought up a kindle e-book and I could read entire sentences - no blank spots, no distortion. My retinologist had no explanation. Has anyone else had this experience? Would some of you try this out and let me know what you experience?

Thank you

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Do you have a brand/model name for the VR goggles you tried?
    • Posted

Evidently I am not allowed to provide that information through this forum. My detailed response to you was deleted by a moderator. I guess I can only tell you it was an inexepensive item ordered from a well known on-line retailer.   
  • Posted

I read your e mail in detail as I am also suffering from Dry AMD and Glaucoma; possibly still in early stages. My eye sight remains quite reasonable so far but I have noted down your experience for guidance. I wish you the best of luck in tackling this problem.
    • Posted

Thank you for responding. Please be sure to find a good retinologist as soon as possible. My eyes went from dry to wet very quickly and the loss of sight was a matter of minutes...fine one minute and gone the next. That was the one time I had decided to skip the monthly injection.  I wish you the best of luck as well. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your views. Yes it is possible for dry AMD to get converted to wet AMD. I was diagnosed for early dry AMD and early Glaucoma in Nov, 2015 when I went for normal check up though my eye sight was ok at that time. Since then I am using eye drops for Glaucoma and eye vits for AMD. Thank God my AMD still remains dry though one has to remain on guard as you suggest. My eye sight still remains alright with slight decrease in one eye.

What treatment were you doing for your dry AMD for which injections are not suggested? Wishing you the best.

• Posted

I did not take the diagnosis of dry AMD seriously because my sight was still good. I tried some very expensive vitamins for a while, but gave them up due to the cost. I did try dietary changes to increase antioxidants. Several years later my life changed very unexpectedly one morning when I discovered that it seemed like my newspaper was printing in a much smaller font, but when I covered one eye I could see it was me, not the newspaper. I went to an eyedoctor who made an emergency call to a retinologist who found I had a serious bleed.  That was in my right eye which is my best eye, I lost the mid-vision in my left eye soon after. My retinologist said he wished he had seen me much sooner. Hope this helps, 
    • Posted

Alongwith treatment by a retinogist, you may consider some Vits/supplements which i believe do help in wet AMD also. One should try to buy these expensive items in an effort to to save the eyes. I wish you good luck.
    • Posted

I was being treated for AMD and also had a fast growing cataract. I woke up early one morning with cloudy vision.  I called two local hospitals. I am in the states.  They said they do not handle eye emergencies.  I called my retina Dr as soon as their office opened.  The secretary took my info and said my Dr was tied up in surgery. On my fifth call I was put on hold and told she would go talk to him.  She came back to the phone and told me he said to keep my appointment I had for the next week.  I stupidly figured it was the cataract. When I went to my appointment the next week he said. Why didn't you call us as this is bad.  I told him I called five times.  The secretary never talked to him, she lied to me.  He was upset and said management would contact me and he apologized. He said this never should have happened.  I had a bleed as well and am now fairly blind in that eye.  I have a small amount of side vision. After that I had a detachment, second bleed and cataract surgery and third bleed.  I think the Avastan caused the problem. After my last surgery in Sept 2016 he switched me to eylea and no more bleed, but still can not see anything central. I am now not doing any injections.  A second opinion Dr said it is not worth doing. Perhaps I should have been more forceful when calling his office or went elsewhere. I trusted them. I understand your situation, as mine was similar.  My retina is severly scared and I am learning to redo everything. Depth perception is bad and driving at night is never going to happen again.  During the last surgery my optic nerve was also damaged so my eye is dialated twice the size of normal.  Good luck with your situation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.