Visable veins worry

Posted , 7 users are following.

Okay you might of read my other post on here about how I think I have health anxiety. Anyways, this all started when I started noticing my veins seemed more visable about a month ago. I googled this and got a bunch of different things come up, none of which were helpful and only trigged my anxiety more. The visable veins are on my arms, legs, chest hands, and feet. They are regular blue veins that can be seen but not felt. The only ones that can be felt are the ones on the back of my hands and forarms which could always be felt. Even though I try to tell myself it's nothing to worry about my mind still keeps going back to worrying about them. I can't seem to get over it. Is this normal? Does anyone else have this? Btw I'm 27 male and I do have fair skin. I am not skinny, I do workout but once again these aren't building veins from working out just regular blue veins.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hey joesph,

i suffer from anxiety aswell. i also have the blue veins ive had them since i can remember really and ive never worried about them before. why are you worried about them? i read your other post about asking the doctor and if they say its fine then it should be. everyones different some people you can really notice and others you cant.

• Posted

Hello Cassandra,

The reason I still worry is because even though the doctor took a look it was a quick look and it was only about the veins in my arms, then I showed her my legs and she wasn't concerned but I didn't show her my chest. It did calm me down when she mentioned it was fine but I guess my anxiety took over and I still worry if it's really normal or not. I also had a high heart rate that visit which the doctor said was probably anxiety related as I had no chest pain or trouble breathing, but I guess the high heart rate didn't help matter. This also wasn't something that I believe was there before. It has caused me such anxiety that even when I shower and I see them that I can start to worry. However they are always there, not just when I shower. Two weeks ago I decided to take a bath and when I saw how prominent my veins were in my legs I started to freak out and couldn't really enjoy it. Cassandra do your veins show everywhere at all times? Everyone I talk to says this is no big deal and they don't know why I'm worried but I still can't help to not worry as its a sudden change over the last few weeks that I hadn't noticed before. I've also had digestive issues recently which I'm sure is because of my anxiety and the two are playing off each other, but even though I write that I still go through times where I worry and panic.

• Posted

hey joseph,

yes it wouldnt make you feel good if the just had a quick look. maybe you should book another doctors appointment and see what they say. go to a different doctor for a second opinion. yes all my veins are visible on my chest arms legs thighs. ive always though it was normal. anxiety is a powerful thing though mine is just tarting to calm down now. i know how you feel though when your worried and your trying not t. it gets the better of us unfortunately.

• Posted

I have noticed this on me as well. Pain in the ones on the back of my hands. The really scary one os when it feels like the main one in my neck hurts. And of course they say that is a sign of a hart attack also. So it puts me into more of a panic. The doctor does not seem concerned. Since it has happened to me for so long, I have not worried as much anymore. I have noticed that it seems to be the muscle around it, in my neck anyway, seems to be tense when it hurts. We tence up without realizing it when anxiety hits. I think once we start having anxiety and panic, we start focusing on all things with our bodies, as we are convinced we must be dying. But still here after dealing with this off and on for more years than your age smile
  • Posted

Hello Joseph, Every body as these veins but some people have more prominent veins. It is nothing to worry about it's quite normal. When you say they are more prominent when you shower or have a bath it's because temperature can make them more visable, the hotter the water the more prominent they will seem but they reduce when your body temperature goes down. Even the warmer weather can have this effect. Try using warmer water. Hope this helps. 

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Elizabeth,

Thanks for the reply. The veins are prominent at all times but during a shower I do see then a little more, but at any part of the day whether I'm hot or cold I still manage to see my veins all over.

• Posted

Joseph, It is nothing to worry about, my legs are like that and i have accepted it as normal now thou sometimes i am embarrassed about them. If your skin is thin this could also make them more prominent. Go back to your GP if your still worried but i am sure everything is normal.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Thanks Elizabeth. It's comforting to know that other people have this as well. It's just that Google really scared me and I thought I could have superficial vein thrombosis which can be a sign of cancer and it freaked me out. Does anyone know what superficial vein thrombosis is exactly? Does that only refer to pain and when there is red inflamination near the vein?
    • Posted

I've never heard of thrombosis being linked to cancer.

I too have visible blue veins, the nurse actually commented on mine and said I like these type of veins they are easy to find when drawing blood. So I guess they are common.

Mine seem to be becoming more visible over time, when I'm showering I can see them more, but I thought it's the lighting.

I got them on my arms, legs, feet, hands, chest, and one running up next to my adams apple I just noticed that one.

I've seen visible veins in a lot of people, I don't think it's much to worry with.

Also hormones can do this I've heard, as well as a lot of other harmless things.

• Posted

I too have anxiety over my health ive worried about my veins appearance also thats what lead here. You asked what superficial thrombosis is, from my understanding its a superficial blood clot that is in one of superficial veins and clots cant travel through superficial veins so it usually no concern. Ive been through alot during life (im 25) alot of Hypochondria due to heart palpitations mostly. And just you everytime i see a doctor they cant find anything physically wrong with me. The trick is to put it out of your head but thats the hardest part.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.