Viscous circle

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

I went though a bad time last year with drinking, it spiralled out of control and couldn’t stop it was only when I got ill and realised what I was doing to my body that  I cut right back, have still been drinking but I set limits, then out the blue a few weeks ago I developed sleep probs that have now spiralled out of control being a very anxious person this sent me into melt down severe anxiety and now severe depression all I look fed to now is the drink to settle me down but it’s out of control now drinking a bottle before bed if wine and up to a bottle during night to help me get 2 hrs lol and to curb anxiety, I am going to try and drink less tonight and have a sleeping tablet later anybody else had similar problems ty

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cheryl and welcome.  Lots of supportive people here and I am sure more will reply later.

Well done for recognising that the situation needs to change.  It's worth noting that alcohol doesn't promote the 'right' type of sleep anyway.

I cannot speak of sleeping tablets because I have never taken them, but presumably you had these prescribed by a doctor?  Did the doctor know of the extent of your alcohol use?  If not, then I think it might be worth another appointment to discuss the whole situation.  I am not a doctor, but I was always under the impression that drinking any alcohol whilst on sleeping tablets can be quite a dangerous thing, so you should probably check that out.

• Posted

Hi Cheryl

You have reached out to the right place and you will get lots of support. I too would urge you to go to your GP and discuss the whole issue, the alcohol, lack of sleep and your struggle in trying to deal with it all . Its incredibly dangerous to take sleeping tablets with alcohol and even more so with the amount you are drinking. Alcohol may knock you or for a couple of hours but the sleep you get is pretty worthless . Alcohol and sleeping tablets are a dangerous mix as the alcohol enhances the effect of them to dangerous levels.You probably know this as if prescribed or over the counter they carry a warning.Take care and get some medical advice .

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, welcome to the site.

Have you considered antidepressants? Serotonin is a hormone that regulates sleep/wake cycle and some antideppresants are selective serotonin reuptake intake ihibitors (SSRI) ie they increase the amount of the hormone in your brain by stopping it being reabsorbed. Im sure it is a safer alternative than booze and sleeping pills.

• Posted

Hi Cheryl...I have been here where you are.

Drinking makes us feel better in the moment, helps us get to sleep or back to sleep.

But, the effects of alcohol on anxiety? Alcohol just intensifies the anxiety when you stop drinking it.

If you are able to stop drinking...you will notice in a matter of a week...your anxiety will lessen and you will be sleeping better.

Its very, very hard to stop this cycle once you are in it...as you know.

But pull up your pant straps....and really, really fight against this demon...and you will feel better.

Everyone knows not to take pills with alcohol...we shouldn't have to be reminded of that..but a reminder that hits really close to me is my sister died 1 month ago yesterday by accidently drinking too much with her pills 😦.

• Posted

I don’t think sleeping pills with alcohol is a good idea, it mayor may not do immediate damage but when you do decide to quit, it would make it difficult. That’s what I heard, passing it on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.