visible blood vessels in white of eye for MONTHS?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I am really in need of help.

I am 21 years old and 3 months ago I woke up and noticed both of my eyes were extremely bloodshot. This lasted for about 5 days then the redness went down slightly but however 3 months on there is still visible redness in both of my eyes. Also every now and again (not very often though) I get little red mark/spots that become very visible on the white's of my eye for like 20 mins but then goes.. so it's clear something is irritating it surely? It doesent hurt or sting the only difference I see is when i wake up in the morning my eye mucus is now watery and stringy rather than it used to being dry and crumbly. Other than that I can't really say anything is different but it's been 3 months and it's driving me crazy it's affecting my self esteem a lot!

I have been to my gp who just don't help! I really want to see a ompthalogist but I can't get the referral. I have been to the opticians aswell and neither seem to be that bothered but it really is fustrating me. What could this be? Nothing like this has happened to me before

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Do you watch computer screens a lot? If you do then its essential to remember to blink!   That probably sounds crazy as blinking is quite an automatic reaction normally but because your eyes are wide open and you are concentrating you can forget to blink as normal,the eye secretions dry up and you have the start of dry eye syndrome,with bloodshot eyes.

.       If you have a job which involves working on a screen then you should be able to have regular breaks where you can walk away from the screen.           Try buying some over the counter eye drops. Hypromellose [artificial tears] are good for a start.   Also Carmize which is slightly thicker.      As the others have said..it could be the start of blepharitis....the clue being stringy mucus,but hypromellose is worth trying first.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.