Vision changed 1 week after surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Right after cataract surgery on my left eye I was amazed at how well I could see! I had worn glasses since I was 9 years old and now I could see without glasses. Exactly 1 week after surgery I was watching TV and my left eye went blurry. The next morning I called my surgeons office. I was told to come right in to be examined. After the exam the surgeon told me he had used a lens that would make me near sighted so he had been surprised at how good I could see right after surgery. He told me that the blurriness I was now experiencing was due to the lens settling into the correct location. That nothing was wrong and that the right eye that I had just had done would do the same. I have never heard of this. Do lenses settle?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I've had both eyes done and only experienced blurriness for 1-2 days after each one. I am interested in the replies of others that have experienced what you are going through. I had one eye done to see close up and the other one for distance and haven't used glasses since. Not even reading glasses! I hope your doctor is right in your situation.

• Posted

Short answer is lenses do settle over a 6 week period after surgery. The IOL is 1mm vs natural lens that is 4mm thick so the lens moved back and forth and then adheres to the tissue. This will account for vision being .25 diopter from the target.

As brain adjusts to new vision over time people can notice small changes as well.

Do you know shat initial target was? Also some people get blurry vision while using the drops (comes and goes). Is the blurriness constant? Even if TV is blurry can you see another distance very clear (like reading or computer distance)?

• Posted

should clarify as lens settles you could end up .25 diopter either way (near or farsighted) from target.

• Posted

Hello freda80022: I had my surgery over a year ago and my IOL's are secure in the same position they were locked in after surgery. My doctor took care to inspect for any movement of IOL after surgery. Any "settling" or movement of the lens would be cause for concern. You may want to seek a 2nd opinion.

• Posted

Hi mlcoopa

It is normal that the IOL will settle into the capsular bag and take a few weeks to reach its final position.

• Posted

Yes, as Sue.An2 explained your natural lens is thicker than the iol. The natural lens is removed from the capsular bag, and the iol is inserted into the bag. Because a thinner lens is now in the bag that is stretched to fit a thicker lens, the bag will "shrink wrap" itself around the new lens. As this happens there may be slight movement back or forth as it heals. You should never have rotation or tilting of the lens as you heal as that kind of movement is not normal and will have adverse effects on sight.

• Posted

Thank you for your response, I feel better about my changes in sight now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.