Vision problem - artificial lights appear dim

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

I am 42 years old male. Recently dignosed for diabetes 2, and taking medicine, currently well controlled. No BP or cholestrol.

After started taking medicine (almost 2 months), i am facing some problems in my vision. No blurry vision, no night vision problem - i am better off compared with any normal person while moving from bright room to dark room when it comes to vision adaptation. But, I see all artifical lights dimmed in the night, street lights, room lights etc though no problems in reading or viewing. It is dimmed - that is the problem. Light appears to be low. I have problem in far vision - and corrected with glasses.

I also have problem in places where there is lot of sound - like malls. I have hearing problem and also I get confused in such places. No hearing problem in other places.

I went through varioius eye tests including dilated eye exam, and Optical coherence tomography (OCT) and all found to be normal. I am very much upset with my vision problem - very irritating as lights appear dim in the night. It is not a problem during day time.

I having some sort of anxiety and depression - not taking any medicines for that. It is worse when I am not eating, it makes me feeling that it could be due to low sugar (every night - close 90 mg/dl)

What would be my problem?

Eye, nurological or anxiety? I am totally having no clue.

Abnas A

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi it's best to get your eyes checked and explore other avenues after that I've been to see my gp and been to opticians still struggling for a diagnosis I've just had a heart scan too been having blurry vision migraine droopy mouth ie hemefacial spasm or droop and all this since my lumbar puncture last year
  • Posted

You don't specifically mention eye tests related to contrast sensitivity or other things related to low light vision. I don't know if you'd been to an ophthalmologist which is an eye doctor with an MD, or an optometrist, an OD. Optometrists are all around eye doctors but don't have as much knowledge about medical issues that may impact vision and odd things like this tend to be referred to them. Unfortunately I'm guessing you were referred to an ophthalmologist because of the potential connection to diabetes, but I figured I'd suggest that just in case since some ODs do try to handle everything except surgery or any prescribing they aren't permitted to do, even if an MD might be useful to consult (though most are good about knowing their limits I think). 

You don't mention the name of the medicine you are taking, if you hadnt' already perhaps you might wish to search the net to see if a similar side effect has been reported, or  post that on forums on this site and elsewhere related to diabetes to see if anyone else has reported similar side effects to the medicine. As I suspect you've considered, perhaps trying  alternative medications, or if your diet keeps it well enough under control seeing if its safe to go off the medication for a short bit to see if the side effect resolves. 

• Posted

I have eye problems also so i can relate. They can produce alot of anxiety. Perhaps a mild tranquilizer might help you get through the rough time. I take one and without it would get nothing done as i have become obsessed with my vision. I hope you get some answers.
  • Posted

Hi,

Have you been able to find any solution for this problem or did it get corrected over the years? I am facing the same symptoms. I have been to neurologist, opthalmologist, neuro-opthalmologist and done several tests and all say there is nothing wrong.

It would be really helpful if you could share your experience.

Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.