Visual Anomoly (bright spot/ persistent afterimage in eye)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I’ve been experiencing a very weird visual anomaly since 2 months ago. I noticed it after i had neck surgery as it appeared in my visual field right after so i’m not sure if they are related. Anyways, i have this weird small circle-oval shaped bright spot in my vision. I don’t see it when my eyes are opened nor do i see it when my eyes are closed. I only see it when i blink and as i blink it appears to be a bright spot, sort of like what you see which would be a after-image. It is not noticeable against dark backgrounds or when i’m outside and my eyes are distracted by other visual stimuli but it’s very noticeable if i look at a white wall or a very bright white computer or phone screen. It’s in my left eye and it appears towards the peripheral side whenever i blink.

I went to the optometrist for it very recently and she said she could not find anything wrong with my eyes as my retina, macula and the rest else is perfectly healthy. I did a pupil dialation test and had retinal images taken on both eyes. She did however notice that my retina in my left eye (where the visual anomaly is occurring) has a thinner retina than my right, but she said she isn’t concerned as it’s normal among nearsighted individuals and said although thinner, the retina has no tears or holes.

I’m 22 years old, very healthy and haven’t had any issues with my eyes other than the common myopia (near-sightedness) and in the past experienced only 2 migraines with a visual aura.

Could this be a cotton wool spot? a Weiss floater? I really don’t know and would really appreciate advice!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have retinal detachment and scleral buckling surgery. After 3 week i see strange things: blue field phenomenon and dark cracks in field of view, when i blink or look at objects, and this cracks situated around objects.

Also i have afterimage in the form of a semicircle passing through a blind spot. This afterimage disappear trough month. Other simptoms are with me today.

• Edited

If your eye doc did not found nothing in your eyes, there is no reason to worry about "Cloud Cotton Wool" , the Weiss ring is a type of a floater, they aren't stationary.

In my layman's opinion you might be experiencing pressure phosphene or victreous traction, they are harmless.

I can see the lower borders of my peripherals kind of "washing out" if I look to a white wall upside and I can see some sort of a speck if I look side to side, this is only noticeable If I loook very near a blank wall or if I force my vision sideways, sometimes when I cross streets I perceive a blob in upper opposite side of my eyes, but this is all eye muscle pressure. I don't know your case, but talk to the doc once more or find another, mine explained this tome because himself experience almost the same thing as me

If you don't bother what is you degree of myopia?

• Posted

well, your myopia isn't that high

6 years ago I was -1.50 -1.75 and I remember seeing all that stuff I have mentioned here

Now my myopia is -2.50 -2.75, but I think it may have increased a bit

Best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.