Visual disturbance

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, this is my first post on here and I'm hope someone can help with my problem, my GP has lost interest I think.

I have had a daily headache for over a year, not all day but every day if yo know what I mean,GP has put me on Porpranolol which is helping. I do have side effects, one being that I fainted in the early hours when I got up to the loo, ( never fainted before in my life) I'm also getting a strange thing happen with my sight.

When I go to walk and look down there seems like the floor has a big dent in it. and where ever I go to step the dent is there. This gradually goes away and usually lasts for about 30 mins.

Can anyone shed any light on this.

I've had my eyesight testwed and all is OK also had bloods done for temporal artritis and that was negative.

the pain I have been getting all these months is always across my forehead or at the back of my eyes and nose. I sometimes get pins and needles in my right cheek too.

Sorry this is so long but its difficult to explain properly.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi sounds like blocked sinus problem have you been on holiday or swimming . I use to get two migrane like headaches a day for a year and a very simlar sight problem . i had sinuses cleand in hospital and it solved the problem hope this helps
  • Posted

Thank you for replying Giant.

I have suffered with migraines most of my adult life, but must say as I've got older they have become fewer and less of a problem.

The head pain I get now dosent seem like a migraine, well not what I'm used to. My GP did put me on antibiotics about 6 months ago as he thought it could be a sinus infection. they had now effect so I presume its not a sinus problem.

• Posted

I've had similar problems since the beginning of the year, my GP ordered a hormone screening blood test. Result - Prolactin through the roof, diagnosis after visit to Endocrinologist: Pituitary tumour. I suggest you ask for a blood test pronto.
  • Posted

Oh my thats scarey. My GP sent me to have an eye test and that showed up nothing unuaual. I've also recently had a blood test which came back negetive.
  • Posted

It needs to be a hormone screening blood test. Check if that's what was done. I was offered pzotifen for migraine as a prohylactic but didn't take it. My concern was the visual disturbance which had increased in frequency. Turns out the tumour is compressing my optical nerve. I've been assured tablet treatments will return me to normal so dont be alarmed. Insist on a specific test.
  • Posted

Palestream thank you for all the info, much appreciated.

The blood test I had was to check for Temporal Artritis, I had to suggest this to my GP as, like I said, he seems to have lost interest. When he realised I had been researching on the Internet he 'flipped'. According to him I have no right to be 'self diagnosing' its very dangerous and a waste of his time. But he does NOTHING to help, everytime I go to him and say my headaches are no better, he insists its just Migraine. When he was on holiday I saw a 'stand in' Dr, he was much more interested in finding a diagnosis and sent me to a neurolagist, after a lighting quick visit which consisted of her looking in my eyes, testing my reflexes and making me raise my arms a few times, she said Migraine, I couldnt beleive it. I know this is different to my usual Migraine, why wont they listen to me???

I've got to the stage now that I dont know what to do, and can just imagine his reaction if I go back and suggest another blood test for something else I've found out about via the Internet.

• Posted

Sounds as though your visual disturbance is a side effect of the medication. Would your GP prescribe something else for you do you think? I get pain in the head/eye/face now and again, not migraine so I dont know what it is. The only painkiller that worked for me was Zomig which acts by dilating the blood vessels. It's magic. I just mention it in case you want to ask your GP if you can try it. (I take two tablets immediately to kill off the crippling sharp worst part of the pain, then one tablet a few hours later to kill of the residual dull ache. This is not what it tells you to do on the packet, but I do what works.) I just mention this in case you want to try it. All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.