Vit B12 and Zinc low

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anyone advise....I have been feeling dreadful. I am diagnosed with an auto immune disease but don't think that is causing the issue.

So I was on interferon for 3 years. I was fine for a long time. About a year ago start to feel bad. Tired lots of hair loss. Muscle cramps. Abdo pain. More recently sympyoms of peripheral neuropathy. Insomnia. My blood tests show b12 and zinc a bit low.

Vit b12 not low enough to do an absorption test. It is odd because I was taking 2 supplements containing b12. My mother had pa. I am wondering if this could be a med related issue. Stopped interferon. Waiting to see what happens now. Blood test to be repeated in January.

I am currently taking a zinc supplement but holding off on b12 until the bloods are done.

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So not really lol x will try again. 
  • Posted

Day 1 of injections yesterday. I have to say that after 1 injection my leg and foot pain has gone. Also I woke up this morning without peripheral neuropathy symptoms. Not expecting it to have gone completely after only 1 treatment but am just curious as to what happens now. Hopeful and feeling mildly better. x
    • Posted

That's fantastic news but please be prepared that some symptoms may appear to get worse before the go away completely - if ever they all do - but this just goes to show that the B12 is beginning to repair the danage done to your nervous system and you are on the right road.

How many and how often are your injections going to be?

Please don't forget about your Folate level as this gets "used up" processing the B12.  Ask your doctor/nurse's advice about supplementing with folic acid.

I wish you well for the future

• Posted

thank you Clive. I will ask about Folate yes. There are 5 injections over 2 weeks I think. I have them booked in. Then I think it goes to every 3months which is the standard dosage I think isn't it? 

• Posted

If you are in the UK:

Treatment of cobalamin deficiency

"Current clinical practice within the U.K is to treat cobalamin deficiency with hydroxocobalamin in the intramuscular form outlined in the British National Formulary, BNF, 

Standard initial therapy for patients without neurological involvement is 1000 µg intramuscularly (i.m.) three times a week for two weeks, then every three months. 

The BNF advises that for Pernicious anaemia and other macrocytic anaemias patients presenting with neurological symptoms should receive 1000 µg i.m. on alternative days until there is no further improvement, then 1 mg every 2 months.

However, the GWG recommends a pragmatic approach in patients with neurological symptoms by reviewing the need for continuation of alternative day therapy after three weeks of treatment"

Don't forget to ask about the Folate!!! 

• Posted

Ok Clive so I am having 3 a week and then I think she said one every 3 months. I may speak to the society and see what they advise me to do. Thanks for your advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.