Vit B12 deficiency and Beclomethasone/Mometasone Furoate

Posted , 5 users are following.

I posted some weeks back about my symptoms making my life a misery and B12 testing that came back at 400+ and therefore deemed ok, despite a very high MCH. Further tests were done to rule out other causes, all came back fine thankfully.

In the meantime, in desperation, and thanks to a link I found here, I ordered some injectable B12 and starting following the guidance, injecting myself every other day. The first two made my symptoms worse, then I got slightly better, and for the first time in over 18 months, I felt almost like my old self 2 days after the 6th injection. This was short lasting though as 4 days after my last injection, the symptoms that had miraculously disappeared returned with a vengeance. I have therefore decided to inject again to see if a pattern will confirm the deficiency (to me if not my GP!).

Doing further research though, I cam across a site listing the above drugs as known to deplete B12. This was a complete shock as I have now been prescribed Mometasone for 3 years for my dust mite allergy (the only thing that controls it) which I switched to Beclomethasone (Beconase hayfever) as available over the counter. I use the spray about 3 to 4 times a week now. It was therefore quite a surprise to see the link between the two.

Does anyone know about this? 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had very similar experience to you, I felt fantastic after second injection but then really bad again. Apparently this is normal as your body adjusts to the new vitamin and make you feel ill before better. I continue to self injection myself every three days. Still not perfect but better than I was
  • Posted

Use of antacids and drugs used to treat ulcers or GERD (Prevacid, Prilosec, Protonix, Nexium, Zantac, Tagamet, Axid, Alternagel, Maalox, Mylanta, Riopan, Tums, etc.)

The following prescription drugs are known to cause deficiencies in B12: Zoloft, Metformin, Glucophage, Glucovance, K-Lor, K-Lyte, Klotrix, K-Dur, Micro-K, Slow-K, Colchicine (and other prescriptions used to treat gout), and some prescription antibiotics and cholesterol medications. 

• Posted

Thanks Clive. I came across this that mentions anti-inflammatory medication too:

https://www.umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement-depletion-links/drugs-that-deplete-vitamin-b12-cobalamin

The timing would make sense as I started to experience some symptoms about 2 years ago, so a year after I started to take Mometasone regularly, however, that's the only reference to a link that I have found (well another one too but I think just copied from the above).

I did quite a bit of research when fist prescribed it as it is in essence steroids so made me anxious about long term use, but all I read said that it was safe as the drugs doesn't pass the blood barrier. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.