Vit D deficient

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, diagnosed last week (incidentally) with Vit D deficiency - 21.8. 1 x 40,000 iu capsule of D3 per week for 7 weeks then for maintenance dose. Serum calcium check after 4 weeks. Second dose due Thursday, feeling achy but nothing more. I'd originally gone to GP 'not feeling right', tests done and my thyroid was low but now back in normal range. Is there a link between Vit D deficiency and thyroid problems?

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rockydog,

You know what my tsh and free t4 was on the low end of normal when my vitamin d level was at 13. But now it's normal. So there could be a link since d3 is actually a hormone not a vitamin.

I've learned that when vitamin d gets low, our bodies gets out of whack and become unbalanced. A very hard lesson I'm dealing with right now. You are very fortunate to only feel achy as your only symptoms. Others get very nasty symptoms.

Hope you start feeling better soon

• Posted

Yep, you're right - everything out of whack.

Had a list of 'odd' symptoms that filled a sheet of A4 when I first went to GP, worst of which was terrible fatigue, memory loss, burning toes and dry painful eyes. My T4 was low and B12 low end of normal - I had symptoms for both and now it turns out for Vit D too. Some symptoms have improved since thyroid back in range but still don't feel well/normal.

Keep on taking the tablets - one day we'll get there!

• Posted

I agree the fatigue is the worst, my memory and concentration is horrible. It's like one day you're normal and out of nowhere you get hit by a brick wall, not knowing what happened.

Yes getting your b12 up will greatly help with your symptoms as the deficiency symptoms overlap each other. Not sure if you had your folate tested, it would be a good idea.

It's a slow process with lots of ups and downs but eventually we will get there. Enjoy the sunny weather if you get the chance, it helps alot =)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.