vit D deficient and future testing for vit D levels

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was vit D deficiency down to 11. Was given high strength supplyments until my levels returned to normal . Should i have future testing to check levels havent dropped again. My doctor says no not unless i have symtoms but i have unexplained symtoms daily anyway and how can i tell the difference between that and future vit D symtoms. I also asked at a chemist and they said future testing once deficient is usually six monthly. Considering these doctors failed to diagnose the vit D deficiency in first place after years of symtoms and telling it was stress makes me wonder if they are still fobbing me off.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think 6 monthly is a good idea, usually good to have a test about this time of year as this is when your level is likely to be lowest. They also say end of summer as this where it should be highest. I would ask for one if I was you. Xx
    • Posted

Thankyou, i will. Not sure ill get one though! At least i know the best time to ask for one now. I suppose its common sense really haha not always my strong point . Think the doctors could do with a dose of that too . 
    • Posted

I think you're right. If they won't give you a test then you can get one done yourself, it wasn't too dear. They do them at birmingham hospital and send you a kit out direct. If you google Birmingham hospital vitamin d test it will come up. Just be aware that the result may be slightly different to the one from your drs surgery but at least it gives you an idea. Hopefully you can get one from the doc. Xx
  • Posted

Karen I dont know what the symptoms are as I had none at all and my count was down to 29. It should be over 75 but I think there are differing readings. Few foods contain Vit D but look up online for those that do contain it. I think having had once so low a count you ought to be taking a dose either daily or weekly in future. Getting it up to good count is not a reason to stop supplements! Just get a blood test for Vit D on its own, it is not costly and you can see yourself what it is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.