Vit D deficient, feeling awful, support needed please

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed vitamin d deficient (15) 2 weeks ago and was prescribed  a week of 20000u a day then one a week. 

I feel absolutely awful and can’t imagine ever feeling better. I am exhausted, my legs and sometimes arms feel weak and if I do anything other than the bare minimum have to lie down. I am barely coping looking after my children and have now been signed off work. I have done lots of reading which in some ways has helped but in others induced (an already lurking) terrible anxiety. I’d love to hear any stories of recovery or advice please

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was found to have vitamin deficiency and was put on high dose vitamin pills for ten weeks during which I felt worse and worse so gave up after six weeks  I found several others on Patient who had similar side affects which is how I got in touch with this web site. I told my doctor that the very high dosage was making me feel terrible and she was OK about it and thought that the six weeks should have done the trick. All the best Rhodri.
    • Posted

Ok thanks, I’m not due to go back for three weeks but definitely feel worse since taking them. 
  • Posted

It takes three months or more for vit D supplements to have an effect. Do you know what your readings are? My initial reading was 26.  Sun also helps increase vit D, if you can find any sun. We only get about twenty per cent from food and there are not many things that have vit D, mushrooms, oily fish and eggs are some. I take 800 iu a day which is a maintenance dose, as I am on steroids.
    • Posted

Yes I’m trying to get outside every day. I think my level was 15 which did explain that I was feeling pretty rubbish. However now it’s so debilitating I’m off work. Was starting to wonder whether it was psychosomatic but pretty sure it isn’t. 
  • Posted

Are you feeling any better? I have been sick for 6 months. I have pressure in my head dizziness headache neck pain anxiety heart palpitations hair loss fatigue tingling in legs and random pain all over. I was started on 50,000 iu of d2 weekly and I went on Facebook and found some groups that follow this protocol and they told me that d2 isn’t helping and it wasn’t so after 5 weeks I stopped that and started 10,000 iu of d3 daily my dr is fine with this and said to continue for 2-3 weeks then lower dose to 5,000 iu daily and she will restart when it’s been 3 months. I’m worried I’ll lose my job. I have 2 kids that I can’t do hardly anything with and it’s really stole my life and I want it back. I hope your feeling better. It does take time from what I’ve been told. The protocol also suggests taking vitamin k and magnesium glycinate. I ordered them and I’ll start when they arrive. My dr said my magnesium level was fine and I didn’t need it but everyone says that it helps. This is a horrible thing to have to go thru. Hope your doing better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.