Vitamin and anxiety query

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. I have posted this in the vitamin forum but hoping for more luck here due to the nature of the topic. It's a bit obscure but here goes...

I have arranged to have a blood test to essentially cover ruling out any link between vitamin deficiency and my anxiety, notably Vitamin B12, Magnesium and Full Vitamin D. As it stands, I am on vitamins which contains all of these...would anyone have a rough estimate as to how long roughly it takes for these to get out my system? I don't want to do the blood test with artifically higher in my system due to the vitamins, only to then therfore see my results are normal and not knowing for 100% if it's due to the vits or not! I'm keen to know as I'm off all vitamins at the mo as a result and am having low level anxiety about whether I'm doing the right thing or not!

Any answers would be much appreciated.

Ps. I'm on chamomile as well to relax me, but seen it contains magnesium stearate...without sounding dumb, is this basically magnesium?

Many thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Sorry I can't answer your question but I have one for you I just wondering were you herd that vitamin deficiency can course anxiety ? It just I got told that by a wellbeing place but they said it was not a normal gp blood test and that gp don't do it so I ask my counciler and they said it's not true have you tried meds for your problem

• Posted

Hi DBE. ....I have to be honest here, I've ran the gamut of every possible vitamin, multi-vitamin and herbal teas I can care to mention.

I've tried b12 patches, magnesium oil spray. In my honest opinion none of them worked for me,

except where I took double the recommended daily dose of b12 where I felt it gave me more energy and a more positive mood.

I know it says never exceed the recommended daily amount but I tried due to my anxiety getting out of hand.

In my honest opinion it's trial and error with vitamins and herbal remedies, but you never know you might find something that works for you.

Take care

John

• Posted

I'm interested in the tests as was considering getting them done, are you getting them through GP or privately?

I'm still unsure if there may be a physical cause for my anxiety but know I have health anxiety and blood tests will probably not show anything, but it is hard not knowing for certain. If nothing else I would like to rule it out as it would be a mistake to overlook something that could be treated easily and make a big difference.

Different vitamins stay in the system for different lengths of time, as some are fat soluble and would remain for longer, whereas others are water soluble and are passed in urine . I had a quick look on google and was suprised to see that after taking supplement that vitamin D levels can remain raised for around a month, and B12 although water soluble can be stored in the liver for months.

Magnesium stearate is used as a filler in many tablets, it is a form of magnesium but it depends on how much is in them and I'm not sure how well it is absorbed as different compounds are used magnesium supplements eg. magnesium citrate.

I would stop taking vitamins for at least a week, preferably longer, before the tests.

• Posted

Thank you all for the replies.

My doctor was reluctant to do so, but I asked whether there was first a Serotonin test (I googled it, apparently there's a serotonin platelets test?) However I was told that, well, in this country at least, such a thing doesn't exist except on post mortems (needless to say I passed, haha)

When I suggested I knew of a magnesium defficieny test she agreed, and on the form also is for B, and full Vitamin D. Maybe I just got lucky, but like I say I don't think it's something GPs are thrilled at doing. There's a chance I'm on a wild goose chase of course but I'd rather rule it out for certainty!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.